0.85b4: Autoexpand subfolders in folder tree

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

arspr

0.85b4: Autoexpand subfolders in folder tree

Post by arspr »

(I think this is not a bug but a missing feature. But I'm going to use the bug template just in case).

XnView: MP 0.85b4 /64 bit

In Windows Explorer (or in any other file browser in fact), when you drag a file over a folder which contains subfolders you can make that folder expand its contents in the lateral tree view by just waiting some time before dropping the file. But XnView MP does not seem to behave in this way.

This little feature is EXTREMELY handy when you are moving/copying files.

Effect: You have to abort the drag and drop action when you have forgotten to previously expand and show your destination subfolder...

To reproduce:
1. Look for any folder which contains subfolders (the ">" icon on its left). Do NOT expand it.
2. Drag any file to that parent folder but do not drop it. Keep the mouse pointer (with the dragged file, with your left mouse button pressed) over that folder.

Actual behaviour (bug): Nothing happens. The parent folder is not automatically expanded.

Expected behaviour: After some little time in this situation, the parent folder should automatically expand and show its child subfolders. In this way you could finish dropping your file in any of those subfolders. This behaviour should be repeated if there were sub-subfolders. I mean, each time one level, and only one level, of child subfolders is expanded. But if you drag and wait over any of those subfolders after their expansion, then it would expand and show its own child subfolders. (Test it with Windows Explorer if you want).
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: 0.85b4: Autoexpand subfolders in folder tree

Post by m.Th. »

This little feature is EXTREMELY handy when you are moving/copying files.
Yes.

Programming it is another matter. If Qt supports the required functionality (signals etc.) then it should be rather easy. If not...
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
helmut

Post by helmut »

That's really an important feature that is much needed, arspr. This is feature works in XnView Classic and is missing in XnView MP therefore I consider this not as suggestion but as an bug.

:arrow: Reproduced
arspr

Post by arspr »

This feature is still not implemented in 0.85
helmut

Post by helmut »

arspr wrote:This feature is still not implemented in 0.85
@arspr: Only bugs listed in the changelog of XnView 0.85 have been fixed. There's no need to verify bugs that reside in this sub forum "Reproduced" with the new 0.85 version because it's unlikely that these bugs have been fixed. Please note that I've removed all your other "This issue remains unchanged in 0.85." posts.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

O.k., thank you, I can also reproduce the problem. Issue 1218 is fixed in next version.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.87. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
HanVroon

Post by HanVroon »

Nice! Works in 0.87 beta 1