0.86: Disabled cache: Folders still listed

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

jww

0.86: Disabled cache: Folders still listed

Post by jww »

Folders still show up in the list when you have the cache disabled, albeit with 0 byte file sizes.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Disabled cache

Post by xnview »

jww wrote:Folders still show up in the list when you have the cache disabled, albeit with 0 byte file sizes.
right
Pierre.
jww

Post by jww »

xnview wrote:
jww wrote:Folders still show up in the list when you have the cache disabled, albeit with 0 byte file sizes.
right
Ah okay. I prefer to have the programs I use to not keep state/history or have a way to disable it altogether (e.g. Chrome's incognito mode) though for xnview I do intend to use the ratings. I thought that list only referred to thumbnails not database info. Thanks!
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Topics to be archived once this issue is resolved:
XnTriq ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=121266#p121266]Cached image names still show if caching isn't enabled[/url]) wrote:It's a known issue in XnView Classic…
xnview ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=69645#p69645]Cache issue[/url]) wrote:
XnTriq wrote::bugconfirmed: XnView v1.95.4 @ Windows 2000 SP4

(Enable Caching & Use database to store file information deactivated)
Ok, but it's not a bug if fileinfo is stored in DB...
Lesmo16 ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=113954#p113954]Minimal XnView[/url]) wrote:
helmut wrote: I support your request to surpress the creation of unused/unnecessary (from user perspective) files, Lesmo.
Still the same in v2.04 ...
Still creates files category.db and category.bak, default.bar. :(
… and MP:
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

the settings is for 'Thumbnail caching', so files entries are created. I'll add setting to disable catalog
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.86: Disabled cache: Folders still listed

Post by xnview »

O.k., thank you, I can also reproduce the problem. Issue 1217 is fixed in next version.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.87. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
HanVroon

Post by HanVroon »

Tested with 0.87 beta 2. Fixed.

Steps to test:
- Removed the checkbox "Enable catalog" in Settings, Browser, Catalog, Catalog tab.
- Closed XnViewMP.
- Removed the files Thumb.db and XnView.db.
- Startend XnViewMP. Only the file XnView.db is created, with size zero bytes. The file stays zero bytes.

Considerations, not as bug report:
I never used the catalog for rating, adding categories or whatsoever, so looked at it in detail for the first time.
- When the catalog not enabled, categories cannot be assigned, tags are not kept, and rating is not kept, as far as I understand.
Catalogs cannot be assigned, the pane is empty, which looks correct.
One must realize that because the catalog is not enabled, tags and ratings can still be set (no message) but are lost after XnViewMP is closed.
- One other thing: After unchecking Enable catalog, the Categories pane is not made blank after pressing OK in Settings, but only after restarting XnViewMP.