0.84: AVI video files not displayed and played

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

helmut

0.84: AVI video files not displayed and played

Post by helmut »

XnView: MP 0.84 - 64 bit

When opening an AVI video file in XnView the video doesn't play. It doesn't play in the preview, either.

Effect: Functionality not available (AVI video files cannot be displayed and viewed)

To reproduce:
1. Browse a folder with an AVI video file. If you don't have one at hand, you can download one here: http://www.engr.colostate.edu/me/facil/ ... s/avis.htm
Actual behaviour (bug): Preview of AVI isn't shown. :bug:
2. Open the AVI file
Actual behaviour (bug): Viewer is opened but AVI isn't shown. :bug:

Expected behaviour: AVI is displayed and played both in preview and in Viewer.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.85b1: AVI video files not displayed and played

Post by xnview »

i have no problem to open an avi file in viewer mode
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

XnView: MP 0.85 beta 1 - 64 bit

Confirmed with the drop.avi file (from the link above). (XnView classic 2.23 can play this video properly)

Not confirmed with any other .avi file on my PC.

I have just one dialog when switching to viewer, I'm not sure if it's normal for video files:

"This picture will be converted to RGB with 8bits per component"

Which video formats are supported? I tried mpg, ts, mkv, mov, mp4, 3gp, vob and it looks, just the AVI videos are supported (except those from the link).
Dreamer
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:XnView: MP 0.85 beta 1 - 64 bit

Confirmed with the drop.avi file (from the link above). (XnView classic 2.23 can play this video properly)
Thank you for checking, Dreamer. The same here: drop.avi isn't played while another AVI video is played. It looks like there is something special about the drop.avi (see link in original post).
Dreamer wrote:I have just one dialog when switching to viewer, I'm not sure if it's normal for video files:

"This picture will be converted to RGB with 8bits per component"
This message is displayed every now and then. To me it seems as if this message is displayed randomly - sometimes it is displayed and sometimes not. And I think that the message is even wrong - I much doubt that my old AVI videos have more than 8bits per component. I'll post a bug report for this.
Dreamer wrote:Which video formats are supported? I tried mpg, ts, mkv, mov, mp4, 3gp, vob and it looks, just the AVI videos are supported (except those from the link).
The video player provided by Qt is supposed to play most video files. Until now I've tried FLC, MOV, MPEG, AVI, and MTS and they all are played.

@Pierre: Could you please download drop.avi (see above link) and check whether it is played?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

yes no problem with drop.avi on my win 8.1
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:yes no problem with drop.avi on my win 8.1
Thank you for testing. Really strange this whole video handling. I'm not sure what it depends on but the problems range from no thumbnails, no sound, and no image, to crashes. :/
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Re: 0.84: AVI video files not displayed and played

Post by Dreamer »

With beta2, useQtAV=false, still no change with drop.avi, no video in preview/viewer.

Tested also in 0.84, same ini (useQtAV=false), video is played properly here.

(Helmut, perhaps you could try 0.84 and useQtAV=false ini option)

EDIT: In 0.84 with useQtAV=false ini option, it looks most video formats work good.
Dreamer
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you for checking with 0.84. Please note that the setting for internal/external video player has been renamed:

<=0.84: videoMode (false (default): use internal QT AV video player. true: use external video player)
0.85 b1/2: useQtAv (true (default): use internal QT AV video player. false: use external video player)
>=0.85 b3 : useQtAVPVideoPlayer (true (default): use internal QT AV video player. false: use external video player)
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

0.85 b3? Is it available?

I installed v0.85 b1 with default settings, new ini, then reinstalled/replaced all files from b2 and used the ini from b1, in both cases I had useQtAV=false - so it was probably the default option in b1.

I just tested with useQtAV=true in b2 and it looks, most video formats work good, incl. drop.avi.
Dreamer
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:0.85 b3? Is it available?
No, it's not available, yet. But Pierre agreed in renaming the setting and I assume it will be renamed in next beta version which will be beta 3.
Dreamer wrote:I installed v0.85 b1 with default settings, new ini, then reinstalled/replaced all files from b2 and used the ini from b1, in both cases I had useQtAV=false - so it was probably the default option in b1.
I assumed that useQtAV=true is default in beta 1. :| (As an equivalent to the former default videoMode=false).
@Pierre: Could you please clarify?
Dreamer wrote:I just tested with useQtAV=true in b2 and it looks, most video formats work good, incl. drop.avi.
O.k.. So on different computers this QT AV video framework seems to work with differing results.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Helmut, so you can't play drop.avi with useQtAV=true in beta 2? It works good with this ini option in 0.84, 0.85 b1 and b2, perhaps it's OS related?

What about other avi files? When I changed the ini option to "true", most video formats work good now. Try to re-download the file, or test with other video files, "avi" is just an extension.
Dreamer
helmut

Post by helmut »

I just realized that in 0.85 beta 1/2 QT AV is NOT used by default while in 0.84 QT AV was used by default. :shock:
@Pierre: Did you make this change in the default internal/external video player on purpose?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:I just realized that in 0.85 beta 1/2 QT AV is NOT used by default while in 0.84 QT AV was used by default. :shock:
@Pierre: Did you make this change in the default internal/external video player on purpose?
ok, right an bug in beta1/2
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Confirmed fixed.

In 0.85 beta 3 the setting is named "useDefaultVideoPlayer" and default is "true".

Internal Video player plays AVI files and other video files. :)