0.83: Thumb label backcolor doesn't work for video files

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

klaus2

0.83: Thumb label backcolor doesn't work for video files

Post by klaus2 »

Is it already possible (or planned to be possible later) to define
distinct thumbnail label background colors for different video file extensions like wmv, avi etc.?
I tried variations of ini file formatColor, eg.
formatColor-26="[avi],217 247 227,0 0 0"
but could not achieve.
(obviosluy the keyword within "[] " is defined somewhere else and has a different meaning
than simply to refer to a file extension; analogue settings cannot be added by that method.
Already existing settings, eg. for "[ico]", can be altered by overwriting the RGB value).
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Q: diff. thumb label backcolor for video file ext possib

Post by XnTriq »

Hi klaus2 =)
  1. Go to Tools » Settings... » File list » Format colors.
  2. Activate Use color based on file format.
  3. Type avi in the left text box.
  4. Click the Add button.
  5. Select avi in the list.
  6. Choose your preferred colors by clicking the buttons on the right of the dialog.
  7. Confirm with OK.
  8. Point the browser to a folder which contains AVI videos.
  9. Return to the forum to tell XnTriq if this worked out for you.
klaus2

Post by klaus2 »

Hi XnTriq,
thanks for reply!
Yes, that's what i already tried (irritated that it did not work ...);
the result is:
- in the ini file:
formatColor-26="avi,0 255 127,0 0 0" // without square brackets ....; but no change when having set square brackets though
- in the gui:
when reselecting the directory, for a very short time period, the "avi" files labels are backgrounded with the backcolor choosen,
but quite immediately this backcolor is overwritten with the default color.
So the setting appears to get active .... but directly to be overwritten afterwards [by what?].
Host is Win7 x64, MP is 0.82 x64 beta 4.
Different behaviour resp. expectation from your test?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

For my initial test, I had removed/deleted all other formats.
I've now repeated steps 1 through 8 with a “clean” INI, and the behavior I get is exactly as you describe:
klaus2 wrote:when reselecting the directory, for a very short time period, the "avi" files labels are backgrounded with the backcolor choosen, but quite immediately this backcolor is overwritten with the default color.
So the setting appears to get active .... but directly to be overwritten afterwards [by what?].
<!--// Moved to “MP - Bug Reports” //-->
klaus2

Post by klaus2 »

Hi XnTriq :-)
for me interesting to know, is it by design or by bug (so maybe fixed later?)

I think the thumb label backcolor works with file types/formats (not by file extensions),
and those types are somehow hardcoded (so it is useless to test with editing of the [Formats] section)
All ends up with the fact that the backcolor for "unknown types" comes into effect at least for video files.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

klaus2 wrote:for me interesting to know, is it by design or by bug (so maybe fixed later?)
I've moved your topic to the “Bug Reports” section because this feature clearly needs fixing. I hope that's OK with you, klaus2.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Hello:

If this is for video files then it may be related to these post:

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33588

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33589
klaus2

Post by klaus2 »

XnTriq, that's fine. Many thanks to you, to Pierre and all those supporters who help to improve this extraordinary software!
I say this because raising issues here may sometimes appear to be a criticism although that is absolutely not intended.
MP is cool!

Erixx, thanks! That's my impression too (apparently some stuff is not yet implemented. Unfortunately. during my
trsts i directly came across of some of those items .... Browser tooltips and labels).
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

klaus2 wrote:I say this because raising issues here may sometimes appear to be a criticism although that is absolutely not intended.
No worries, klaus2! Your (and Erixx haxx's) input — be it requests or bug reports — are greatly appreciated.
I've said it before: It doesn't have to be all lovey–dovey all of the time. There's nothing wrong with a lively discussion as long as the participants follow the basic rules of common courtesy and netiquette. Even criticism is welcome on this forum. Pierre can handle it. If complaints are conveyed in a civilized and constructive manner, nobody's going to take offence.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.85 beta 1. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
helmut

Re: 0.83: Thumb label backcolor doesn't work for video files

Post by helmut »

I've tried to produce (v0.84) and reproduce this problem (v0.85 beta 1) but failed. Format colour worked fine for AVI files both in v0.84 and 0.85 beta 1. The topic title speaks of "Thumbnail label backcolor" but then the description is about format colours - quite confusing. :?

Note:
When setting a background colour for label "Filename" in Settings: Browser » Thumbnail | Labels the format colour no longer works in several views. Resetting the colour using "Reset color" button make the format colour appear, again. (Contradicting settings are no good; I guess I'll post a bug report later).

Could someone please explain the problem in 0.84 and/or retest and confirm the bug fix?
klaus2

Post by klaus2 »

Just retesting i can confirm that upfrom 0.84 the problem does no longer exist ---- whereas with 0.83 and beyond it had been encountered.
Now. i can define distinct thumb label colors for different types of video files resp. video file extensions.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you for checking and reporting back, klaus2.