0.84: Random msg: "This picture will be converted..."

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

helmut

0.84: Random msg: "This picture will be converted..."

Post by helmut »

XnView: MP 0.84 - 64 bit

When browsing video files (e.g. AVI files) sometimes the message "This picture will be converted to RGB with 8bits per component". It happens that you open a video file and the message box is displayed and next time you open it's not displayed - even though "Remember my answer and don't ask again" wasn't checked.

Effect: Annoying message box.

To reproduce:
1. Open an AVI file
2. Close the AVI file
Repeat step 1 & 2

Actual behaviour (bug): Sometimes a message box "Your image is converted..." is displayed :bug:

Expected behaviour: The message box should be displayed consistently and not randomly.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: 0.85b1: AVI video files not displayed and played

Post by XnTriq »

helmut ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=140700#p140700]0.84: AVI video files not displayed and played[/url]) wrote:
Dreamer wrote:I have just one dialog when switching to viewer, I'm not sure if it's normal for video files:

"This picture will be converted to RGB with 8bits per component"
This message is displayed every now and then. To me it seems as if this message is displayed randomly - sometimes it is displayed and sometimes not. And I think that the message is even wrong - I much doubt that my old AVI videos have more than 8bits per component. I'll post a bug report for this.
I've also had this message pop up occasionally when opening video files (independent of the format):
helmut

Re: 0.84: Random msg: "This picture will be converted..."

Post by helmut »

Thank you for confirming, XnTriq. The problematic part is that the message box seem occurs randomly. Sometimes the message box appears but the image is shown as grey only.

For image files this message box might make sense but I much wonder whether this message box is needed for video files (e.g. AVI files) at all. Also I much doubt that my AVI files use 32 bit colours.

:arrow: Reproduced.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

helmut wrote:The problematic part is that the message box seem occurs randomly.
That's what I meant by “occasionally”. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to reliably reproduce it.

PS: One of the files I've used in my tests is Windows XP's C:\WINDOWS\clock.avi (which is supposed to be MSRLE-encoded).

PPS: It seems as though this message is only shown if I open clock.avi before MP's browser is done scanning (all files in) the active/current folder.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

OK, I can (almost) always reproduce it this way - with 3 short MPG files and with some AVI and MKV files, but never with one short MPG file (same source as the others, weird), anyway, I tested with many videos and it looks I found the problem.

XnView: MP 0.87 beta 3, not released yet (probably the same in beta 2 and previous versions) - 64-bit

0. Play few videos in preview, wait at least one short video to play to the end, switch to viewer and back, close all viewer tabs, do not select any images.
1. Use details view.
2. Set option "Use middle click" to "Browser <> Viewer" (Interface > Switching mode).
3. Select any video file in browser.
4. Middle click the video to go to viewer.
5. No dialog.
6. Close video viewer tab.
7. Select any image in browser.
8. Now middle click the same video directly, to go to viewer.

Actual behaviour (bug): "This picture will be converted to RGB with 8bits per component" dialog is displayed. :bug:

9. Close video viewer tab.
10. Now middle click the same or different video directly, to go to viewer.

Actual behaviour (bug): "This picture will be converted to RGB with 8bits per component" dialog is displayed, always, no need to select an image before. :bug:

I tried to middle click the same videos 10-20x quickly, and I had this dialog just once, after some 15x clicks, but when I selected image first, I could almost always reproduce it, just I need to play some videos first, it doesn't work without that step 0.

All in all, this dialog is displayed almost always if I select image before video, almost never if not.
Dreamer
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Right, This problem will be fixed in beta 3
Pierre.