0.84: 'Del' key on categories deletes files

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

jonha4711

0.84: 'Del' key on categories deletes files

Post by jonha4711 »

I am not sure the following classifies as a bug but it definitely seems not right.

Say I have selected one (or more) images in the browser window. I then click the "Categories" pane and click on any of the defined categories.I can now use the up/down keys to move around in the defined categories. IOW, the keyboard focus is now clearly in the "Categories" pane. If now I press the delete key in an attempt to delete the currently selected category, XnViewMP (.78, Win7) instead deletes the selected images in the browser window which does, at that point, not have the focus!

This is rather dangerous and not at all what I would expect.

The only way I've found to delete a category is to right-click it and then click on Delete in the context menu. It seems impossible to delete categories via the keyboard.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Deleting categories

Post by xnview »

not really a bug, but you're right it can be dangerous...

when focus in on category pane, del must delete the category and not the file, everyone is ok with that?
Pierre.
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

xnview wrote:not really a bug, but you're right it can be dangerous...when focus in on category pane, del must delete the category and not the file, everyone is ok with that?
+ 1000 ;-)
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote:not really a bug, but you're right it can be dangerous...

when focus in on category pane, del must delete the category and not the file, everyone is ok with that?
Perhaps a warning prompt would be desirable?
jonha4711

Post by jonha4711 »

xnview wrote:when focus in on category pane, del must delete the category and not the file, everyone is ok with that?
That's what I would expect. Whether there should be a confirmation box is debatable... I am not a great fan of those. Clicking OK or pressing the return key (I tend to be a keyboard guy) wouldn't be much of a problem though.

So as far as I'm concerned... a definite YES.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

jonha4711 wrote:Whether there should be a confirmation box is debatable... I am not a great fan of those. Clicking OK or pressing the return key (I tend to be a keyboard guy) wouldn't be much of a problem though.
A warning prompt could have a 'Do not show again' option...

If there is a significant risk of losing valuable data due to a misunderstanding or carelessness, a prompt seems justified...
CameronD

Post by CameronD »

xnview wrote: when focus in on category pane, del must delete the category and not the file, everyone is ok with that?
Certainly.

Other issues:
The prompt for deleting an image says "Are you sure to delete these 1 item(s)?" - using "item" rather than "image" or even "file" means the user was not even aware that he/she is currently confirming an image deletion rather than a category.

Even deleting a category might not be what the user actually wants, and simply deleting the category from the DB might be counterproductive.

For example: I might actually want to remove a category from image files, but I have options enabled to import and export categories as iptc:keywords and xmp-dc:subject. Currently the "delete category" process will only delete the entry in the database, and if the program revisits the images at a later date then it should re-import the categories and I would be heading back to where I started. (It does not, so I will report that as a separate bug). To best achieve my original aim, I would want to not delete the category, but use the categories filter to find all occurrences and remove them manually, before then deleting the category.
As a different example, I might want to modify a category name. Using "rename category" in xnviewMP does not rewrite values stored in image metadata, so I would need to carefully follow several steps through with xnviewMP or else use use exiftool and hope I could reimport the renamed category.

No single operation will be suitable in all cases, so the prompt should at least include a warning that metadata in files will not be changed.
jonha4711

Post by jonha4711 »

For 0.82 can you please consider either ignoring the Del key if the Categories tab has the focus or (in my view better) make it delete the current category? The current way to delete all selected images is not at all intuitive.
CameronD

Deleting metadata shows same problem

Post by CameronD »

The same problem happens when the Info pane window is showing metadata such as IPTC or XMP.

I saw an image with junk inserted by Microsoft Photo. I thought it would be nice to remove that so I selected it, ensuring focus was in the Info pane, and hit delete.
This gave the same ambiguous warning "Are you sure to delete these 1 item(s)" and when I said yes then the jpeg file was deleted.

Now, in this case, I expect that removing the offending metadata is not as simple as deleting categories, so in this case either
  1. ignore the DEL key, or
  2. give a simple warning that deleting individual metadata items cannot be done by xnviewMP.
jadO

Post by jadO »

This is what happened to me today as I made some major reorginasations within the categories.
I deleted one category and got a prompt.
I deleted another one, saw the prompt, hit yes and did not realise that I had deleted a file.

This is what I did: Created a category with subcategory at a wrong place. Clicked on subcategory->Right click->Popup asking to delete category. Selected parent category->Hit del key
I did not read the popup properly as it was exactly what I expected however this time it was the popup asking me if I wanted to delete this item. I hit yes, because everything was focused on category and gone was a file.

This is not good. As 2 completely different items are highlighted, it is ambigous what the user really wants to do. So the popup should force me to select if I want to delete the category or if I want to delete the file.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:not really a bug, but you're right it can be dangerous...

+1 And: Due to the potential loss of image files I consider this as a must fix.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.84: 'Del' key on categories deletes files

Post by xnview »

O.k., thank you, I can also reproduce the problem. Issue 845 is fixed in next version.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.87. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
HanVroon

Post by HanVroon »

Tested with 0.87 beta 3, fixed.

First reproduced with version 0.86, selecting two files, then selecting a category, pressing Del asked if I wanted to delete the two files. After confirming the two files where deleted, not the category.

Tested with 0.87 beta 3, did the same thing, now the message "Are you shure to delete this category" came and after confirming the category was deleted.