Show Desktop in folder tree

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

raga

Show Desktop in folder tree

Post by raga »

Hi, what do you think about checking "Show Desktop in folder tree" by default?

I think it is note very useful to hide the desktop for new user who don't know about this option.
helmut

Re: Show Desktop in folder tree

Post by helmut »

Hmm, displaying "Desktop" as top node would make sense to me (XnView browser wouldd more consistent to Windows Explorer). On the other hand, all my files reside on drive D: and no images are located on the desktop, so the desktop node would be no benefit for me.

So there's pros and cons for displaying "Desktop". Other opinions?

Note:
Option "Show Desktop in Folder tree" is in "Tools > Options" | Browser > Folder Tree
Silversleeves

Post by Silversleeves »

Two ways it could be done.
1. A BrowseDefaults.ini file where Desktop is "pointed to" by its actual path, yet still ends up graphically displayed at the top of a Tree View column;
2. A toolbar button that "zips" one to the Desktop folder of their login, yet still displays it nested as it would normally in the Tree View column.

I think it's likely we'll see #2 before #1, as to me it seems an easier "hack" to the existing app code. If one has to sacrifice a toolbar button they seldom use, for this one, I don't think too many users would balk at the change.

BZT
helmut

Post by helmut »

Long time ago it was decided that the node "Desktop" isn't shown by default.

I wonder whether this default setting in XnView Classic is still appropriate. In XnView MP 0.83 the node "Desktop" is shown by default.