WebP support

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

JOZIKus
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: WebP support

Postby JOZIKus » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi. WebP support in xnView is about to years outdated by now. I would like to petition devs to upgrade. Could You direct me how I could do that? Thank You. :)

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 27344
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: WebP support

Postby xnview » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:02 am

JOZIKus wrote:Hi. WebP support in xnView is about to years outdated by now. I would like to petition devs to upgrade. Could You direct me how I could do that? Thank You. :)

what's the problem?
Pierre.

JOZIKus
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: WebP support

Postby JOZIKus » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:18 pm

xnview wrote:
JOZIKus wrote:Hi. WebP support in xnView is about to years outdated by now. I would like to petition devs to upgrade. Could You direct me how I could do that? Thank You. :)

what's the problem?


mostly the lack of ability to config other webp options rather than just the quality. and the plugin code version is v0.2.0 (I believe) instead of the current v0.4.1. Could You invest some attention and upgrade it? I Love Your product! Use it most every day :)

User avatar
omniplex
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:52 pm
Location: Hamburg
Contact:

Re: WebP support

Postby omniplex » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:04 pm

xnview wrote:what's the problem?
In addition to what others wrote: There is now a lossless WebP variant. I'm still unsure about their lossy format, but the lossless codec can create smaller pictures than PNG, and that's mildly interesting. :o

Apparently XnViewShellExt(64) 3.5.0 (2012) does not yet support WebP, please support WebP when you have to update the XnView shell extension anyway.

heimaki
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:04 pm

Re: WebP support

Postby heimaki » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:30 pm

it seems wepb is supported now, but something is confusing when saving:

it is not obvious at all what to do if one wants to save lossless, as far as i can tell, we need to set quality to 100% to get this, everything below is lossy.
it would make much more sense to have a seperate (radio)button for lossless.

webp lossless is great, it compresses a lot better than png. but yes, it is slower, too.

User avatar
omniplex
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:52 pm
Location: Hamburg
Contact:

Re: WebP support

Postby omniplex » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:46 am

heimaki wrote:webp lossless is great, it compresses a lot better than png

Two examples, FFmpeg rgbtestsrc, a simple RGB image to spot RGB confusions, PNG: 737 bytes, VP8L (WebP lossless): 134 bytes. Something with DPX and XnView is wrong, it shows RGB as BGR, 302 KB, certainly more than 134 bytes. 8)

Clear1x1, an image with one transparent pixel, PAM: 69 bytes, GIF: 45 bytes, PNG: 70 bytes, VP8L: 36 bytes, WebP beating all others.

Two caveats, WebP VP8L is by definition RGBA in 32bits, and an FFmpeg MD5 for another pix_format, e.g., RGB without alpha, won't match the RGBA MD5. At least PNG-fans should already know that "lossless" requires a precise definition. And, obviously, there generally is no "lossless" conversion from 48 or 64 bits per pixel to WebP; that could be a job for lossless BPG.

Back to XnView, apparently XnViewShellExt64.dll 3.5.1 (February 2015) is still up to date, and still does not support WebP, or if it supports WebP please tell me how to arrange this in a Windows 7 registry.

Mixer
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:24 am

Re: WebP support

Postby Mixer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:16 am

omniplex wrote:Back to XnView, apparently XnViewShellExt64.dll 3.5.1 (February 2015) is still up to date, and still does not support WebP, or if it supports WebP please tell me how to arrange this in a Windows 7 registry.
If you open XnViewShellExt64.dll in text editor there is plenty of text strings "webp", "WebP" inside, so maybe it has functions to process them, I don't know. When extension is registered, it is registered in section ContextMenuHandlers for all types of files (in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\IXnView and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\IXnView keys of registry). I'm suspecting it decides on its own when to show itself, and probaly currently it doesn't recognize webp as type it can handle, which doesn't mean it really can't. But I don't know for sure.

heimaki
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:04 pm

Re: WebP support

Postby heimaki » Wed May 04, 2016 12:51 pm

just stumbled upon this:

http://encode.ru/threads/2321-FLIF-Free-Lossless-Image-Format?p=47877&viewfull=1#post47877


i have a feeling, in xnview we still have an old webp lib. i compiled the newest one myself, but xnview simply crashed with that one.

User avatar
omniplex
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:52 pm
Location: Hamburg
Contact:

Re: WebP support

Postby omniplex » Wed May 11, 2016 2:07 am

Mixer wrote: it doesn't recognize webp as type it can handle, which doesn't mean it really can't.
Makes sense, and that could be an ordinary bug. FWIW there's a RIFF string in the XnViewShellExt64 binary, but no VP8 for WEBPVP8 or WEBPVP8L.

heimaki wrote:
http://encode.ru/threads/2321-FLIF-Free-Lossless-Image-Format?p=47877&viewfull=1#post47877

i have a feeling, in xnview we still have an old webp lib. i compiled the newest one myself, but xnview simply crashed with that one.
An interesting FLIF-thread, thanks for the link. XnView/Plugins/WebP.dll was apparently created in January 2015, this could be libwebp 0.4.2. The latest libwebp 0.5.0 was released in December 2015. The WIC codec 0.19 is three years old.

UPDATE, some hours later: The XnViewMP 0.79 webp.dll (410 KB, 2016-02-19) apparently works as is also with XnView classic 2.36. The XnViewMP binary is shown as 0.77 in explorer, but it's actually 0.79 (it also contains the same libflif,dll as XnView classic 2.36).

UPDATED UPDATE: The MP 0.79 WebP.dll is unsuited for XnView 2.36 classic under Windows 2000, and 2.36 is apparently not more good enough for W2K, I'll freeze classic at 2.35 for my W2K VM. :(

WinnieW
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: WebP support

Postby WinnieW » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:08 am

heimaki wrote:it seems wepb is supported now, but something is confusing when saving:

it is not obvious at all what to do if one wants to save lossless, as far as i can tell, we need to set quality to 100% to get this, everything below is lossy.
it would make much more sense to have a seperate (radio)button for lossless.

I agree with you.
@Author of XnView
I'd really like to see a dedicted switch to toggle between lossless und lossy mode.

BTW libwebp 0.5.1 has been released a few hours ago.

Some notable improvements: Bug fixes and faster lossless encoding

tor11
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:38 am

Re: WebP support

Postby tor11 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:42 am

I have XnView 2.54. I have checked "Display all image file types" in Options, but I still cannot open webp image files, why?

VTT
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: WebP support

Postby VTT » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:31 pm

I was going to post about the lack of WebP support as well, but it turned out that all I had to do was to download Extended installer and mark WebP plugin for installation.

tor11
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:38 am

Re: WebP support

Postby tor11 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:56 pm

Thanks for that reply. I have portable version, but it was really easy, just downloaded .dll from http://www.xnview.com/old/en/plugins.html and copied it to Plugins dir. Thanks

User avatar
DOS386
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:43 pm

Re: WebP support

Postby DOS386 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:10 am

http://entropymine.com/imageworsener I've now found Image Worsener that can decode WEBP's natively without problems and without plugins ... so I do no longer need WEBP support in NC/XN. Additionally, Image Worsener provides better zooming (16 bpps and without the infamous Gamma-BUG) and palettizing. It can't rotate images, though.

> WebP support in xnView is about to years outdated by now.
> I would like to petition devs to upgrade

Some early WEBP's do no longer decode: viewtopic.php?t=33101
There is indeed no WinZIP under my rock.

WinnieW
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: WebP support

Postby WinnieW » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:54 pm

DOS386 wrote:Some early WEBP's do no longer decode: viewtopic.php?t=33101

Maybe some early pictures from before webp format was finalized or some pictures from an experimental branch leaked in public?


Return to “Classic - Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest