Full support for zip and rar files

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

osiris2258

Full support for zip and rar files

Post by osiris2258 »

The behavior of zip and rar files as no different than folders is the one and only reason I am still using ACDSee. In ACDSee, a zip or rar is 100% identical to a regular folder for the purpose of browsing. Editing the files inside works differently (mostly, you can't, although in the newer versions they have gotten some features to work), but I am not concerned with this. What I need to be able to do is browse around these files with all features enabled, such as being able to go to the next and previous file, use a slideshow, and other strictly viewing oriented functions. Many things are distributed as large numbers of image files inside a zip or rar file so as to distribute a single file instead of a large number of separate files, and not being able to view these types of pseudo-folders is an extremely large problem, since about 80% of what I use a program like XnView to look at is in this format.

The way the archive add-on for XnView currently works is in no way shape or form a suitable or useful replacement for the way ACDSee handles these files. The lack of ability to use standard methods for moving around inside these files is crippling. Only when they are treated exactly the same way as folders, natively or via an add-on, will XnView be usable as my full time image software.
Tommy

Re: Full support for zip and rar files

Post by Tommy »

+1
osiris2258

Post by osiris2258 »

Still need this. Also internal support for gfy would be nice.
osiris2258

Post by osiris2258 »

Still can't use XN View because the one piece of functionality I absolutely cannot go without is not in the program.
osiris2258

Post by osiris2258 »

Still waiting. Cannot use this as a replacement for ACDSee without this feature.
osiris2258

Post by osiris2258 »

Continuing to wait.
osiris2258

Post by osiris2258 »

I continue to be unable to use XnView as my main software tool due to the lack of this critical feature. There is a much more active discussion of this under the MP suggestions.
heimaki

Post by heimaki »

i wonder why should i store images in a zip? most modern image formats are compressed already, so i fail to see any advantage of doing so.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

heimaki wrote:i wonder why should i store images in a zip? most modern image formats are compressed already, so i fail to see any advantage of doing so.
From the MP forum:
XnTriq ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=125059#p125059]Full support for zip and rar files[/url]) wrote:
Marsu42 wrote:Btw this would xnview also a very suitable viewer for .cbr and .cbz ebooks that are simply an archive of scanned images.
You can tell XnView Classic to treat files with certain extensions as text by editing xnview.ini:

Code: Select all

TxtExt=txt c c++ cc h cpp pas js css php ini
I'd like to have the same functionality for archive formats:

Code: Select all

7zExt=cb7
CabExt=
RarExt=cbr
ZipExt=cbz curxptheme docx jar oxps potx pptx svgz wmz xlsx xpi xps
TarExt=cbt
heimaki

Post by heimaki »

sure, i can download an "album" from the net, but the first thing i'd do is unpacking that archive once the download is finished.

i still can't see any advantage of a zipped gallery on my local drives, only disadvantages.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

heimaki wrote:sure, i can download an "album" from the net, but the first thing i'd do is unpacking that archive once the download is finished.

i still can't see any advantage of a zipped gallery on my local drives, only disadvantages.
Let's leave that to the individual user (and developer). I'd appreciate full support for archives independent of their filename extension.
heimaki

Post by heimaki »

XnTriq wrote: Let's leave that to the individual user (and developer).
i'm not the one asking. ;) the developer doesn't seem to be keen on implementing this after all.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

heimaki wrote:i'm not the one asking. ;) the developer doesn't seem to be keen on implementing this after all.
I was referring to the (individual) developer(s) who dare to create file formats based on common archive formats. :mrgreen:
heimaki

Post by heimaki »

ahhhh got it. :D yes, those really are brave devs. :P
osiris2258

Post by osiris2258 »

Among others, I have hundreds of comics in zip or rar format as originally distributed by the businesses selling them that say it's a fairly common way to store groups of images.