JPEGView to the rescue

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

pic_viewer

JPEGView to the rescue

Post by pic_viewer »

Sorry for this topic title, but it is exactly like I feel right now.

The facts:

- photos are usually bigger than the screen, so even viewing them in full screen mode requires some downsampling

- we are living in a sharp world. It doesn't matter if you look content on your new Full HD TV or just browse the web and look at all those super-high-resolution images that are no bigger than (example) 640x640 on news magazine webpages etc etc etc. Everything is super sharp, vivid, looks phantastical.

- XnView is my choice of handling my photo collection, and it is very good in that. Of course I also use(d) it to simply look (read enjoy) my photos. Browser left monitor, full screen pic right monitor.

- A few years ago I mentioned in this forum that XnView's full screen pic view looks soft or blurry, due to the continous scaling. To make pics look better (I know not everyone will agree, but for me and I bet many other users this IS better) the pics should be sharpened a bit. Not at the source, I don't want to ruin my photo archive. Just when presenting them, on the fly.

And that is exactly what JPEGView does as default. I found its sharpening at 0.35 a bit too much and reduced it to 0.30, which perfectly fits my screens and my taste. And (see above) everyone that I show the difference agrees JPEGView looks much better.

And that is the sad part. Due to a simple missing feature that is oh so obvious XnView has been banned as viewer and presenter of pics and photos on my systems. I now use XnView only to browse my archives and change time stamps.

Does it really have to be that way?
Last edited by pic_viewer on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: JPEGView to the rescue

Post by xnview »

ok, i'll check to add sharpening
Pierre.
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

Thanks man, that would be awesome!
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

You made me a happy man! Thanks so much!