Irritating "Rotate" toolbar icons

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

Irritating "Rotate" toolbar icons

Post by helmut »

In the Mezich skin, I think the icons for rotation are somewhat irritating and you have to look twice to understand which one you have to use. I guess it's the orientation of arrows which is a bit confusing and not what user expect: The current icons indicate rather an up/down rotation than a left/right rotation. And people know arrows from traffic signs and those arrows are also oriented differently.

In XnView 2.33 the Rotate icon looks like this:
Toolbar-Rotate-00-Orig.png
Toolbar-Rotate-00-Orig.png (30.61 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
I'd suggest to rotate the icon:
Toolbar-Rotate-01.png
Toolbar-Rotate-01.png (34.36 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
The rotated icon look a bit like Undo/Redo, but only a little bit. Perhaps this can be avoided by changing the angle of the rotation arrow a bit (I've used 90° degrees, perhaps 60 degrees is better).
mezich

Re: Irritating "Rotate" toolbar icons

Post by mezich »

Here rotate icons used in iPhoto and Aperture
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

helmut wrote:In the Mezich skin, I think the icons for rotation are somewhat irritating and you have to look twice to understand which one you have to use. I guess it's the orientation of arrows which is a bit confusing and not what user expect: The current icons indicate rather an up/down rotation than a left/right rotation. And people know arrows from traffic signs and those arrows are also oriented differently.

In XnView 2.33 the Rotate icon looks like this:
Toolbar-Rotate-00-Orig.png
I'd suggest to rotate the icon:
Toolbar-Rotate-01.png
The rotated icon look a bit like Undo/Redo, but only a little bit. Perhaps this can be avoided by changing the angle of the rotation arrow a bit (I've used 90° degrees, perhaps 60 degrees is better).
Agree. the rotation helps.
the more we can see the arrow rotating to the left or right the better (as opposed to up)
I'm not sure how valuable iphoto and aperture are as reference in that regard
helmut

Post by helmut »

thibaud wrote:... Agree. the rotation helps.
the more we can see the arrow rotating to the left or right the better (as opposed to up)
Thanks for your second opinion.
thibaud wrote:I'm not sure how valuable iphoto and aperture are as reference in that regard
If I see right, in iPhoto "Rotate Right" is positioned on the left. And "Rotate Left" is on the right. :shock: So much for the references. (iPhoto uses the symbols in an option dialog so the up/down orientation looks cleaner than left/right orientation. In XnView the symbols are used in the toolbar, though).