First start cancelling in Configuration Wizard

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Mixer
Banned

First start cancelling in Configuration Wizard

Post by Mixer »

When user starts xnview.exe for the first time and changes his mind, what should be reaction to clicking Cancel button in Configuration Wizard? Current reaction is such that XnView starts anyway.
Peter2
XnThusiast

Re: First start cancelling in Configuration Wizard

Post by Peter2 »

I suppose that you will cancel only the personal configuration, not the starting of the software.
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
Mixer
Banned

Post by Mixer »

Usually when user does not want to customize settings and is happy with default, he just clicks OK. Cancel should cancel application start.
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

Mixer wrote:Usually when user does not want to customize settings and is happy with default, he just clicks OK. Cancel should cancel application start.
IMHO "Cancel" should cancels the currently done settings, not the app.

Example:you have started to change some settings and then you decide to use the defaults - what to do? You press "Cancel", the dialogue will be cancelled and the software continues ...
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
Mixer
Banned

Post by Mixer »

Peter2 wrote:IMHO "Cancel" should cancels the currently done settings, not the app.

Example:you have started to change some settings and then you decide to use the defaults - what to do? You press "Cancel", the dialogue will be cancelled and the software continues ...
If I have started to change some settings, it means XnView already has some settings and stores them in .ini file or registry. If I just want to change existing, I rather go to Options (F12), because there is no menu command or command line parameter which would force XnView to show this Configuration Wizard again if settings already do exist. Configuration Wizard is displayed only at first start while there's no trails left by XnView in system yet, so I'd have to delete my existing configuration first.
But if the meaning of "Cancel" in this window is to apply defaults, then it should have according label. Can you guarantee that pressing "Cancel" always uses the same set of options and ignores any changes made in Wizard's window? I don't want to experiment myself, so you might become a pioneer.
helmut

Post by helmut »

The configuration wizard is a first-start wizard. It is displayed only when starting XnView for the very first time (e.g. after installation). What you set here is the location of the .ini file and the system integration (e.g. entries in context menu or icon on desktop). XnView needs a location for saving its configuration, so in fact you cannot start without making any decision at all and deciding later.

Current behaviour
I've just tried out the behaviour of "OK" and "Cancel". If you confirm the configuration without changing anything beforehand by pressing "OK" you get the 100% same .ini file as by pressing "Cancel".

What should "Cancel" do?
We all think is that the current behaviour of "Cancel" is somehow wrong, but what would be the correct behaviour? Actually, it's the "Cancel" button itself which is wrong: At this point you have to make a decision because XnView will at least need to know the location for storing its settings. You cannot proceed without making a decision, i.e you cannot cancel. Alternatively, the "Cancel" button might cancel the program, but why should you quit the program that you've just started? That would be user-unfriendly and really unexpected behaviour. So the "Cancel" button just doesn't make sense, here.

Conclusion/Suggestions
- Remove the "Cancel" button and move the "OK" button to the center of the dialog.

- As Mixer suggested, a "Default values" button could be added (replacing the "Cancel" button). But I'd vote against such a "Default values" button for various reasons:
- The button's label is very long and even longer in some translations.
- It's only very few settings that the user might have changed and would be reset.
- The button will raise more questions than answers which is contrary to a quick-start.
- The button ruins the screen layout

Just my 2 cents...