Styling File Extensions

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

merry widow

Styling File Extensions

Post by merry widow »

Assigning custom colors to file extensions has been a great help to me in ThumbsPlus and it would be wonderful to see the option in XnView as well. It's incredibly useful while in the file manager for immediately, visually distinguishing (for example) what's a jpg, what's an animated gif, and what's an ai because their extensions are in different colors. If the feature is currently available in XnView please let me know how I can implement it because I searched and couldn't find it.

The other suggestion (also related to extensions) is to give them little colorized tags. When I'm not working with vectors I like to use a great little graphics editor called PixBuilder Studio. It's FREE, it has a low footprint and they give you the option of associating some (or none) graphic-file extensions with the program. It uses these cute little image tags and frankly, even if I didn't associate any of them with PixBuilder I just like the instant visual. Here's a screenshot so you can see how it looks in a file manager with random sorting (hmm, can't seem to get rid of that alpha channel on my upload, sorry) . . .
EXTENSION TAGS.jpg
I may be frivolous but I am never trivial.
helmut

Re: Styling File Extensions

Post by helmut »

Thanks for your suggestion, merry widow. XnView MP supports so-called format colours (see screenshot below), I guess this is about what you suggest. FAIK, there's no such thing in XnView Classic and I'm not sure whether Pierre intends to add it.
MP-Options-Format-colors.png
BTW: Nice avatar graphic! ;-)
merry widow

Post by merry widow »

Helmut I'm sorry for the delay responding to you. Thank you for your reply. Yes the avatar came out rather well. :mrgreen:
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

helmut wrote:XnView MP supports so-called format colours (see screenshot below), I guess this is about what you suggest. FAIK, there's no such thing in XnView Classic and I'm not sure whether Pierre intends to add it.
XnView Classic [2.35] :

Tools > Options > Browser > Filelist -- Misc tab : Use colour based on file format ...

I was wondering why those colours suddenly appeared some time back, and have turned them off now! :wink:
helmut

Post by helmut »

cday wrote:... XnView Classic [2.35] :
Tools > Options > Browser > Filelist -- Misc tab : Use colour based on file format ...
Really didn't know that Classic supports this. These two product lines (Classic and MP) start to drive me crazy... ;-)

BTW: For assigning colours there is no dialog in XnView Classic but you can exit XnView Classic and edit the .ini file yourself. The appropriate entries look like this: "BColorFilter01=jpeg, 237 237 202" (file type followed by RGB colour value).
merry widow

Post by merry widow »

cday wrote:I was wondering why those colours suddenly appeared some time back, and have turned them off now! :wink:
The good news: It's loaded with features.
The bad news: It's loaded with features. :mrgreen:
helmut wrote:For assigning colours there is no dialog in XnView Classic but you can exit XnView Classic and edit the .ini file yourself. The appropriate entries look like this: "BColorFilter01=jpeg, 237 237 202" (file type followed by RGB colour value).
That was extremely helpful Helmut! Thank you so much.
tboy

Post by tboy »

merry widow, you may also try xnView TweakUi for xnView Classic:
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... xnvtweakui
merry widow

Post by merry widow »

tboy wrote:merry widow, you may also try xnView TweakUi for xnView Classic:
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... xnvtweakui
tboy . . . Sorry for the delay replying. What is the status of Styling MP? Or is it even needed?