Go to a specific X,Y coordinate in a loaded image

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

THuckabay

Go to a specific X,Y coordinate in a loaded image

Post by THuckabay »

I need an easy to use feature to GO TO A SPECIFIC SPECIFIED X,Y COORDINATE PAIR IN A LOADED IMAGE. I have many very large images containing objects that I must be able to easily locate through specification of a central (to a given object in the opened image) X,Y coordinate pair. (The size of the object is to be located is not relevant; I simply need to be able to quickly have the viewer navigate to a coordinate within that object in a large image that contains many objects.)

I would also suggest this: wherever the mouse pointer is located in a given image, it already has an X,Y coordinate; so, upon zooming, the zoomed view should re-center each time on the X,Y coordinate of the mouse when the zoom (e.g., <Ctrl>+ ) was invoked. This would allow one to stay in the same spot on the image while zooming in, as desired.

I'd like to recommend XnViewMP as a free viewer to millions of individuals who will be examining the images in question and objects within them. However, I require the above new features to do so.

Can you please help me with this?

Thanks.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Go to a specific X,Y coordinate in a loaded image

Post by xnview »

THuckabay wrote:I need an easy to use feature to GO TO A SPECIFIC SPECIFIED X,Y COORDINATE PAIR IN A LOADED IMAGE. I have many very large images containing objects that I must be able to easily locate through specification of a central (to a given object in the opened image) X,Y coordinate pair. (The size of the object is to be located is not relevant; I simply need to be able to quickly have the viewer navigate to a coordinate within that object in a large image that contains many objects.)
what do you means by 'go to specifed x, y coordinate'? how that, center this position?
Pierre.
THuckabay

Post by THuckabay »

Each image is x pixels wide by y pixels high or deep. I need a feature that allows me to tell an image viewer to automatically navigate to (i.e., center the mouse pointer at) a particular x,y coordinate (i.e., pixel) in an image, irrespective of my current image zoom level. In other words, the specified x,y coordinate must be stable regardless of the zoom level in the viewer. I'd like the viewer to display the image at my current zoom level or a specified default zoom level, centering upon the specified x,y coordinate.

Currently, IrfanView allows me to display the x,y coordinate of the mouse pointer in an image; this coordinate is shown in the status bar and changes as I mouse over the image. When I zoom in or out in any location on the image, the x,y coordinate does NOT change for a given spot (pixel location) in the underlying image. So, if I am zoomed at 50% or 2000%, the x,y coordinate displayed for a given spot within the image does NOT change, but is stable and based upon the underlying resolution of the image.

What IrfanView will NOT do, which I require, is allow me to tell the viewer to navigate to an x,y coordinate location that I specify in a dialogue box. So, for example, if I want to go to 20233x,1924y, I currently mouse mouse around the image in IrfanView to find that location based upon the displayed x,y coordiante in the status bar. That is a slow process and cumbersome. It would be MUCH better if I could just type the x,y coordinate position I want to see into a dialogue box in the viewer so that he viewer could then shift the display of the image to that coordinate automatically, and preferably put that coordinate on the image at the center of the image window. I hope this is making some sense. I did not see your reply to my initial inquiry about this until today, and had assumed you folks just ignored my request.

If you could provide the feature I need in XnView MP, where the x,y coordinate is displayed like it is in IrfanView, but ALSO I could specify an x,y coordinate in the program to which to navigate on a given displayed image, that would be HUGELY helpful! It's a very needed feature, particularly when examining large panoramas where it is necessary to tell someone how to quickly locate a feature or object somewhere in all that vastness.

I am completing a series of books that will give the world hard evidence of non-terrestrial life using officially-sourced images. Many of those images are simply huge, so that makes enabling others to independently verify a creature that I crop from a large panorama difficult. What I am doing is specifying where readers can download the overall panorama and giving them the x,y coordinate for a given creature or object in that image, so that they can verify that the enlarged crop of that creature or object is real and untampered. Now, if they could use XnView MP to open the large downloaded panorama and then type in the x,y coordinate I've provided to them in a book, they would be able to immediately see the creature or object in the gigantic panorama rather than having to tirelessly move the mouse pointer and scroll bars manually to get to that particular location in the huge panorama.

I am getting much closer to releasing the noted books, and am probably about a year away. Can you add the feature I require in that time frame? Right now, I am recommending IrfanView to my readers because that program will at least display stable x,y coordinates based upon the mouse location within a displayed panorama, regardless of the zoom level. I need that capability PLUS the ability for the viewer program to automatically navigate within the currently-open or displayed image to a specified x,y coordinate.

Can you do this for me? Thanks.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

THuckabay wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:08 pm I am getting much closer to releasing the noted books, and am probably about a year away. Can you add the feature I require in that time frame?
I've sent you a PM
Pierre.