DXF files

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Peter2
XnThusiast

Re: DXF files

Post by Peter2 »

(next cross-posting)

Price:
34 $ for the CAD-Plugin (DXF, DWG, HPGL, .....)
14 4 only for DXF-Plugin

Category:
Try it with all images you have (JPG, BMP,...). There are also many discussions here to find the best way.
I don't think that the question is "How many will XnView support?" It supports without limitation (the only problem is when you are using tons of huge JPEG and RAW and/or using the cache ...)

"could submit different file formats":
???
What to you mean? The files created by XnView are described on Website

Which files can displayed by XnView:
see Homepage

BUT - don't forget at all:
XnView is a raster viewer, DXF is a vector format, and CAD-Plugin converts the data from vector to raster. If you work with big files and with a fine resolution (define by CS_Manager) you will see that it needs a fine PC.

Peter
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
say

Post by say »

Peter2
Thanks...You seemed to have covered everything finely...
I can handle the cost of the dll...small price to pay, IF I can match my goal with the requirements-limitations set by XnView. And XnView seems pretty flexible!!

Regarding the nbr of files... a majority of my dxf files are 50kb or less each. In my mind, that seems pretty small by CAD standards??

and using categories... I'll create a list of categories I would likely use, and load a subset folder of various sizes of dxf files and assign them to categories... then check on the resulting category selection-viewing.

Different file formats... I think I was not clear in my comments... I have 2 not-so-common file format extensions, that are not on the homepage file list... But I think I recall reading the possibility of asking if those not-so-common extensions can be added the the file list.... Maybe I mis-read the comments that lead me to that conclusion. I'll go back and read again.

XnView being a Raster Viewer... I had to do some reading on raster vs vector files and I'm glad you pointed that out. I'm always hungry to learn new things... so now I'm just a little more educated... and appreciate (in my small view) the amount of work involved in the conversion process between vector to raster and the more difficult raster to vector process.

I'll have to check those other 2 file extensions to see if they are either of those types (vector or raster) data files. I suspect they are vector files and that's why they aren't automatically imaged when XnView loads them on the browser page.

Thanks so much for your comments and patience!!
--Sharon
say

Post by say »

I was so excited about being able to see an image... I didn't give all the information...

When in XnView Browser, the screen is split... top is a thumbnail/details view of the files in the selected folder. Under View, I see that I can change this to different formats... I'm trying to change the dxf files to show like the skf files... an image (like it is presented in the lower part of the split screen, PREVIEW)

Am I explaining that well enough?? I'll attach a screen print....
Browser screen.jpg
Browser screen.jpg (41.5 KiB) Viewed 6811 times
It's hard to read, but this is the lineup....
The first file is a .bmp,
next 2 are .csq files
next 8 (bluegreen icons) are .dxf files... and the icon is the association image for AutoSketch .dxf files..
the next 2 are .jpg
the next 8 are .qli files (with a general icon symbol)
the last 2 are .skf (AutoSketch .skf files)

So is there a way to show an image in the .dxf similar to the other images for .skf, .jpg, & .bmp??
--Sharon
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

say wrote:...So is there a way to show an image in the .dxf similar to the other images for .skf, .jpg, & .bmp??....
I dare to say: no.

This preview displays the thumbnails, which are created on different ways: some file-formats are written and a thumbnail is created by XnView; some file-formats (like DWG) maintain integrated previews which are displayed by XnView. And I don't think that DXF has integrated thumbnails (maybe the newer version 2007 / 2010 ..., but I'm not sure.)

Peter
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

I've found a set of 26 sample DXF files (download ZIP archive) ranging from 75KB to 55MB in size.

Here's a screenshot of XnView's thumbnail panel on my PC, …
… and these are my settings in Tools » Options... » Browser » File List:
say

Post by say »

XnTriq, You're a genius... Well, maybe that's too strong. How about: you know your stuff!!

The other thing I did was install the AFPL GhostScript, just on the off chance it would make a difference. So I'm not sure if that was a help... or just unchecking some of the options in the Browser>File List to match yours!!

Now I can organize about 60% of my files. The other 40% is about 35% .QLI and 5% .CSQ files...

Any way I can get your help with the .qli? I'll do whatever research is necessary... I can send you any number of sample files, the .qli range in size from 1KB to 42KB. And the .csq files are not so important.

You've gotten me so close to the precipice... I can see light at the end of my chaotic searching....
--Sharon
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

2XnTriq:
Thanks from me too. I'm working with DWG and DXF in another way, so I learned something new.

2Sharon:
Ghostscript and DXF:
There should be no coincidence. Ghostscript is for PS-files.

QLI:
Please write the author (Pierre) a mail and attach some examples.

Peter
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

say wrote:XnTriq, You're a genius... Well, maybe that's too strong.
Nonono, that's actually a pretty accurate characterization of yours truly ;-) :P
say wrote:The other thing I did was install the AFPL GhostScript, just on the off chance it would make a difference. So I'm not sure if that was a help...
Although it won't help you with the CAD files, GhostScript enables XnView to open PostScript formats like PDF etc.
say wrote:Any way I can get your help with the .qli? I'll do whatever research is necessary... I can send you any number of sample files, the .qli range in size from 1KB to 42KB.
Unfortunately I don't have a background in programming. We'll have to wait for Pierre (the developer of XnView) to chime in. I don't think that he'll respond before Monday, though.

In the meantime: Could you please tell us what kind of program produces QLI and CSQ files?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Oops — I missed your post, Peter!
Glad you find the information useful :-)
say

Post by say »

I was actually concerned that you might not give me the time of day if you knew or guessed about QLIs. They are files used exclusively (at least I think exclusively), by a company, Gammill. Among other things, they manufacture a computer guided “quilting machine”. Essentially, an industrial size sewing machine on tracks.
There are at least 3 named software programs that create & use .qli files to run the servo motors that move the machine on the tracks. The oldest program by Paul Statler (before Gammill bought him out), and probably not used anymore is called “Statler Stitcher 2002”. It was sold with AutoSketch (AS) as the design element. SS2002 was eventually re-written and called “Precision Stitch” (PS), still included AutoSketch. This might still be used by some. But the newest program is called “Creative Studio” (CS), no longer includes a license for AutoSketch.
If you are still reading this far, you both (Peter2 & XnTriq) deserve a throw size Custom Quilt!! And in appreciation, I would be happy to work that into my schedule and send it to you!! (And to Pierre, if he can help in the QLI department.)
So CS takes a dxf files and converts it into a qli file which provides a thumbnail of the design and sends instructions to the motors to run the machine. The csq file is a modified & saved qli file. AutoSketch was dropped because CS allows the user to modify dxf & qli files and save it as a csq file.
Since I learned AS from the beginning, I prefer to use it for the more complex changes or initial design products.
Long wordy answer to XnTriq’s question of what kind of program produces qli & csq files. A quilt may not mean much to you, it means a great deal to me… at approx $250 USD value each… Home made, theme custom to your desires, it will be not only a comfort item, but conversation starter, and envied by others!!
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Thanks for explaining, Sharon.
I've downloaded a few QLI samples from handiquilter.com.au. They seem to be specially formatted text files and can be opened with NotePad.

Have you heard about SewIconz & CadQView?
say

Post by say »

XnTriq Yes, .qli files can be opened with notepad...and one can also read any text that accompanies the pattern, but no thumbnail is shown.
CADQview will open & display one file at a time. Not useful when I'm trying to decide between several different designs... better to have several side-by-side to compare and select.
SewIconz is a great tool for small numbers of patterns/designs. But I would have to create separate folders (Categories) and put a file (possibly the same design in 5 or 6 different folder-categories) When we're talking thousands of designs this can become a huge space hog.
I'm looking at creating at least 70 categories... and could have 100+ patterns/designs in 10 of those categories. Other categories might only have 10-20 designs.

Thanks!! I had not heard of SewIconz-CADQview before, there are 2 other programs that do close to what I'm looking for XnView to do... they are called "PVM - Pattern Viewer & Manager" and "iPattern Studio"; $70 & $150, respectively, but have requirements and limitations I don't appreciate, and don't want to accept. I have several others in my field who are anxious to use whatever the something is that I eventually find/use.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Off-topic: XnView already supports reading & writing of other ASCII-based (raster) image file formats like XBM/XPM or Netpbm.

Copy & paste the following “code” into NotePad, …

Code: Select all

/* XPM */
static char *XnView[] = {
/* columns rows colors chars-per-pixel */
"32 32 4 1",
"o c Black",
"X c #CC3300",
"  c None",
". c #FF9933",
/* pixels */
"                    .           ",
"        . ..       ...          ",
"        .....     .....         ",
"  .     .....     ....          ",
"....    .....    ......     . . ",
"....     ....     ....     .... ",
".....     ..       .       .....",
".....                     ......",
" ...          ....   ..   ..... ",
"        ..............     ...  ",
"     ....................       ",
"    ........      XX  ...       ",
"   ......     XXX  XXX  ..      ",
"   ....      XXXXX  XX   .      ",
"  ....      XXX  XX  XX   .     ",
"  ....     XXX XX XX XXX        ",
"  ....     XX X   XX XXX    .   ",
"   ....    XX X  XX XXX      .  ",
"   .....   XXX XXX  XXX   .     ",
"     ....   XXX   XXXX   .      ",
"     .....  XXXXXXXXX   .       ",
"       ...... XXXXX    . .      ",
"        .........    .  .       ",
"          ...........           ",
"         . ............         ",
"              ......            ",
"                                ",
"o  o  o o   ooooo  o   oo  o   o",
" oo   oo o  o o o     o o  o o o",
" oo   o  o  o o o  o  oo   o o o",
" oo   o  o  oo oo  o  o     o o ",
"o  o  o  o  ooooo  o   oo   o o "
};
… save it as xnview.xpm and open the file in XnView 8)
say

Post by say »

XnTriq.... I looked up ppm files and started to do the logo... I'm still working on it. When I get it done I'll send it on and tell myself, I'm not too old to learn new tricks!!
I see you sent a msg to Pierre, thanks.
Thanks so much for your help.
--Sharon
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

It is my understanding that QLI & CSQ are proprietary file formats. I haven't found any official specifications, but the CAD-to-DMC User Manual may be of help to Pierre.