XnView icon replaces Adobe Acrobat Icon in Windows 7

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Tomas Eklund

XnView icon replaces Adobe Acrobat Icon in Windows 7

Post by Tomas Eklund »

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and have the Adobe Creative Cloud subscription which includes a license to most of Adobe's Creative Suite software. After installing XnView the Acrobat icon have been replaced with the XnView document icon - both on the start menu and in the task bar. It looks really weird and can sometimes be rather confusing. What causes this problem and what can I do about it?
Screenshot showing the wrong icon in the task bar.
Screenshot showing the wrong icon in the task bar.
xnview-acrobat-bad-icon.png (30.94 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
Screenshot showing the Acrobat XI Pro start menu shortcut properties dialog, with the wrong icon.
Screenshot showing the Acrobat XI Pro start menu shortcut properties dialog, with the wrong icon.
xnview-acrobat-bad-icon-2.png (30.04 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: XnView icon replaces Adobe Acrobat Icon in Windows 7

Post by XnTriq »

Have you tried to rebuild the icon cache?
Tomas Eklund

Post by Tomas Eklund »

Thank you for your suggestion. I have now tried rebuilding the icon cache a number of times according to the link you provided - both "resetting" by changing the color resolution from 32 bit to 16 and back to 32, and also by shift-deleting the iconcache.db file and restarting the computer. It made no difference whatsoever. I have also tried uninstalling XnView then deleting the iconcache.db and rebooting. This resulted in a "blank document icon" instead of the XnView document icon. Unfortunately, it's not possible to just change the icon back to the default application icon for the start menu shortcut from the shortcut properties dialog, as that button is grayed out/disabled (as you can see from the second screenshot in the original post).

This lead me to change my search phrase a bit (excluding any reference to XnView) and so I found this:
http://technicaltony.blogspot.se/2011/1 ... ns-on.html

By replacing the default start menu shortcut to Adobe Acrobat XI Pro with a manually created one I managed to get the proper icon back - both on the start menu itself but also on the task bar when I open a PDF file. The default shortcut as created by the Adobe installer had the "Change icon" button disabled. No such problem with the manually created shortcut. I have also reinstalled XnView and so far the icons seem to be okay.
logvinenko

Post by logvinenko »

Partially Fixed the issue in Win7x64 by renaming the value
"D:\XnView\xnview.exe" with data = 0x00000008 (8) to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\AcroRd32.exe"
in the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted\

Seems like the compatibility of Adobe Reader also uses the 0x00000008 for determining the icon.
Tianuchka

Post by Tianuchka »

Hello!

I've experience the similar problem: when I open any pdf-file or Adobe Acrobat Reader DC itself, the icon for the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC on the taskbar of the Windows 10 PRO RUS x64 is replaced with the icon of the XnView application.
1) My Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is up to date, its version is: 2015.016.20039 RUS.
2) My OS is Windows 10 PRO RUS x64 (licensed, not counterfeit).
3) XnView is 2.36.
4) I've already repaired the icon cache in my Win 10, but it didn't help!
5) If XnView is removed from OS, the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC gets it's original icon for the taskbar, as expected, but as soon as I install XnView back, the icon for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is replaced again with the XnView's icon ((
6) The same replacement of the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC's taskbar icon with XnView's icon occurs in another system with Win 10 PRO RUS x64 on board.

Can anyone, please, propose any useful resolving suggestion or I need to wait till the new version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and\or Xnview?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Welcome to the forum, Tianuchka.

I know you've already rebuilt your icon cache, but could you please give (one of) these suggestions a try:
artnoir (Microsoft Community: [url=http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/wrong-or-missing-program-icons-in-windows-7-start/3fb5be69-105a-40ca-a0ca-695b8bad41f8?page=1&msgId=3519e71b-67da-466c-9282-b41a62e18a51]Wrong or missing program icons in windows 7 start menu[/url]) wrote:I found a solution for this. At least it worked for me (win 7 x64).

First, open Notepad and paste the below code:

Code: Select all

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
attrib –h IconCache.db
del IconCache.db
start explorer
save the file as a .bat file on your desktop.
Then open explorer and navigate to C:\users\username\appdata\local\ (make sure you've select to view hidden folders) and delete IconCache.db.

Lastly, double click on the .bat file that you saved on your desktop and all icons should be restored.
Skoobie Du (Microsoft Community: [url=http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/wrong-or-missing-program-icons-in-windows-7-start/3fb5be69-105a-40ca-a0ca-695b8bad41f8?page=5&msgId=058d9b44-6062-432e-b423-714abec8c405]Wrong or missing program icons in windows 7 start menu[/url]) wrote:A slightly better version, IMO, is the following:

@Echo Off
PushD %LocalAppData%
TaskKill /f /im explorer.exe
Del /a:h IconCache.db > nul 2>&1
Start explorer.exe
PopD
The PushD and PopD commands allow you to run the batch file from the command prompt without having to change back to your previous directory manually. I also removed the need for the Attrib command. Your version will work, so nothing against it.
Tianuchka

Post by Tianuchka »

XnTriq wrote:Welcome to the forum, Tianuchka.

I know you've already rebuilt your icon cache, but could you please give (one of) these suggestions a try:
artnoir (Microsoft Community: [url=http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/wrong-or-missing-program-icons-in-windows-7-start/3fb5be69-105a-40ca-a0ca-695b8bad41f8?page=1&msgId=3519e71b-67da-466c-9282-b41a62e18a51]Wrong or missing program icons in windows 7 start menu[/url]) wrote:I found a solution for this. At least it worked for me (win 7 x64).

First, open Notepad and paste the below code:

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
attrib –h IconCache.db
del IconCache.db
start explorer
save the file as a .bat file on your desktop.
Then open explorer and navigate to C:\users\username\appdata\local\ (make sure you've select to view hidden folders) and delete IconCache.db.

Lastly, double click on the .bat file that you saved on your desktop and all icons should be restored.
Skoobie Du (Microsoft Community: [url=http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/wrong-or-missing-program-icons-in-windows-7-start/3fb5be69-105a-40ca-a0ca-695b8bad41f8?page=5&msgId=058d9b44-6062-432e-b423-714abec8c405]Wrong or missing program icons in windows 7 start menu[/url]) wrote:A slightly better version, IMO, is the following:

@Echo Off
PushD %LocalAppData%
TaskKill /f /im explorer.exe
Del /a:h IconCache.db > nul 2>&1
Start explorer.exe
PopD
The PushD and PopD commands allow you to run the batch file from the command prompt without having to change back to your previous directory manually. I also removed the need for the Attrib command. Your version will work, so nothing against it.
Dear XnTriq!
I've tried both Your suggestions and none of them had helped me ((
It is the same, what when I open Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, I get a XnView icon insted on the taskbar of my Windows 10 PRO RUS x64 ((
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Tianuchka wrote:I've tried both Your suggestions and none of them had helped me ((
How about this?
fun2play ([url=http://forums.adobe.com/message/5635337#5635337]Acrobot XI Pro - wrong icon (Bug)[/url]) wrote:
I have Adobe Acrobat XI Pro and Windows 7 64 bit.
All PDF icons are correct except in the taskbar... in my case it's showing the Gimp icon in stead.
Here's my fix:
  1. Remove, unpin or delete Adobe Acrobat icon from the Start Menu, the desktop and (if you have it there) from the taskbar.
  2. Go to C: > ProgramData > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs and you'll find the "sinner" "Adobe Acrobat XI Pro" with the wrong icon. The that looks like a shortcut. Delete it!.. Close the window.
  3. Go to C: > Program Files (x86) > Adobe > Acrobat 11.0 > Acrobat... and find Acrobat.exe
  4. Right click on Acrobat.exe > Send to > Desktop
  5. Right click again on Acrobat.exe > Pin to Start Menu... and close the window
  6. Right click on Acrobat.exe - shortcut (that you just created on your desktop) > Copy
  7. Go back to: C: > ProgramData > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs... and Paste the shortcut here (you need administrator privileges for that)
  8. Rename this shortcut from "Acrobat.exe - shortcut" to "Adobe Acrobat XI Pro"
  9. Close the window
  10. Now if you open any PDF document, the right icon will appear on the taskbar.
Tianuchka

Post by Tianuchka »

XnTriq wrote:
Tianuchka wrote:I've tried both Your suggestions and none of them had helped me ((
How about this?
fun2play ([url=http://forums.adobe.com/message/5635337#5635337]Acrobot XI Pro - wrong icon (Bug)[/url]) wrote:
I have Adobe Acrobat XI Pro and Windows 7 64 bit.
All PDF icons are correct except in the taskbar... in my case it's showing the Gimp icon in stead.
Here's my fix:
  1. Remove, unpin or delete Adobe Acrobat icon from the Start Menu, the desktop and (if you have it there) from the taskbar.
  2. Go to C: > ProgramData > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs and you'll find the "sinner" "Adobe Acrobat XI Pro" with the wrong icon. The that looks like a shortcut. Delete it!.. Close the window.
  3. Go to C: > Program Files (x86) > Adobe > Acrobat 11.0 > Acrobat... and find Acrobat.exe
  4. Right click on Acrobat.exe > Send to > Desktop
  5. Right click again on Acrobat.exe > Pin to Start Menu... and close the window
  6. Right click on Acrobat.exe - shortcut (that you just created on your desktop) > Copy
  7. Go back to: C: > ProgramData > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs... and Paste the shortcut here (you need administrator privileges for that)
  8. Rename this shortcut from "Acrobat.exe - shortcut" to "Adobe Acrobat XI Pro"
  9. Close the window
  10. Now if you open any PDF document, the right icon will appear on the taskbar.
Dear XnTriq!

Thank You very much, what worked just perfect for me!!!
From now, when I open Adobe Acrobat Reader DC or any pdf-file, the proper icon of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is displayed on my Windows's 10 taskbar!
This topic could be closed, but can You tell me the answer for one more question before?
Which of the software coders\programmers should improve their software for non happening such a glitch in the future: creators of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC or creators of XnView?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Thanks for reporting back, Tianuchka!
Tianuchka wrote:Which of the software coders\programmers should improve their software for non happening such a glitch in the future: creators of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC or creators of XnView?
This seems to be a problem with Windows 7 + 8 + 10. I have no idea why Microsoft hasn't been able to fix it :?