PDF documents hard to read

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Katarina

PDF documents hard to read

Post by Katarina »

Hi,

When opening pdfs on XnView, the document is not readable. The resolution is very bad as per the screenshot attached. I already adjusted the DPI settings as per the article here: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=31990 but the issue was only partially solved. After zooming the file it can be seen clearly but we have to be able to see it without zooming.

Please advise, thanks.
Attachments
Xn Viewer.png
cday
XnThusiast

Re: PDF Resolution

Post by cday »

What DPI have you set?

I would expect 300 to produce a readable image, although the original is a fax which limits the quality to be expected, but if you still have a problem have you tried setting a DPI of 400 or even 600? Can you upload the original file?
helmut

Re: PDF Resolution

Post by helmut »

As cday wrote already, your PDF consists of a graphic of a scanned text document (FAX). Already, you've increased the dpi setting (=resolution) which didn't help. Perhaps the zoom quality used by XnView causes the problem. Could you please check your setting in menu "Tools > Options", Category "View", Tab "View", panel "High quality zoom". Here, "Reduce" should be checked.

In addition to the above setting "Reduce" and if your documents contain mainly text, you could try activating "Sharpen" with a low value to make small text better readable. Please note that when activated sharpening will be applied on all images; sharpening should be deactivated before doing detailed image editing/correction.

The above settings will apply when opening the image. For thumbnails there is also a quality setting, you find it in the options Browser > Thumbnails, setting "Use high quality" and "Sharpen thumbnail".

Just an idea...
Katarina

Re: PDF documents hard to read

Post by Katarina »

Hi, I adjusted the DPI from Options menu as per the screenshot below. First I put it to 300 and after your reply I also tried to put it to 600 but there was no difference. I attached the original file too.
Please advise. These are scans and they need to be able to read them without having to zoom every time.
Attachments
Invoice.pdf
(46.9 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
XnView options.png
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Katarina wrote:Hi, I adjusted the DPI from Options menu as per the screenshot below. First I put it to 300 and after your reply I also tried to put it to 600 but there was no difference. I attached the original file too.
Please advise. These are scans and they need to be able to read them without having to zoom every time.
Three points:

1. Your file opens with reasonable quality for me with DPI set to 300, setting 400 or 600 gives marginally better quality;

2. You do need to have the High quality zoom setting enabled as Helmut suggested:

In Tools > Options :
Image_1.png
3. You may benefit from setting XnView to open zoomed-in slightly, although you would then need to scroll vertically to view the lower part of the page. You might try setting View > Real size and see if that helps, for a start...
Katarina

Post by Katarina »

Putting the High Quality zoom to "Reduce" actually helped to solve this. Thank you both for your help!!
helmut

Post by helmut »

Katarina wrote:Putting the High Quality zoom to "Reduce" actually helped to solve this. Thank you both for your help!!
Thank you for your feedback, Katarina. It's good to read that your issue could be solved.

In addition to activating "Reduce" you might try out activating "Sharpen", this might increase readability even more. And remember that there's a setting for thumbnails, too (see my posting above).