'error renaming file' in Windows 7 Pro

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

MrGoodcat44

'error renaming file' in Windows 7 Pro

Post by MrGoodcat44 »

Hello everybody, I wonder if anyone can help, please?

I have just started using a pc running windows 7 pro and having installed xnview to manage an extensive aircraft image library, I find that when using the browser, when I right click on a thumbnail and try to rename it, all I get is a message saying 'error renaming file'? This never happened on my old pc running XP SP3 and has only now started to happen since swapping to a PC running windows 7, anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Best regards, Daz
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 'error renaming file' in Windows 7 Pro

Post by xnview »

it's not a rights problem?
Pierre.
MrGoodcat44

Post by MrGoodcat44 »

No, won't let me rename even images I've taken myself. I don't think it's an xnview problem as I never had any issues using it on my old PC, the problem has only appeared now that I'm using windows 7...

-Daz
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

MrGoodcat44 wrote:No, won't let me rename even images I've taken myself. I don't think it's an xnview problem as I never had any issues using it on my old PC, the problem has only appeared now that I'm using windows 7...
XnView Classic works normally otherwise, not a question of needing Admin rights which is what I think Pierre possibly meant, although I don't immediately see why that should be an issue?
helmut

Post by helmut »

I'm no Windows expert but I'm pretty sure that this is a problem of Windows security/rights. When briefly browsing the web I read of "User Access Control (UAC)" which was introduced in Windows 7 and various tipps and hints to workaround this. Sample link: http://superuser.com/questions/58200/ca ... -windows-7
MrGoodcat44

Post by MrGoodcat44 »

An update on the file re-naming issue...
I posted the same question on a couple of forums and someone suggested that I try running xnview as an administrator, so I right clicked on the programme icon, selected 'run as administrator' from the drop down menu and hey presto, problem solved! Or at the very least a satisfactory work around has been found!
A similar suggestion appears in the link, helmut provided.
Thanks to all who offered help, it was much appreciated...

Best regards, Daz
helmut

Post by helmut »

MrGoodcat44 wrote:An update on the file re-naming issue...
Thanks for your update and positive news, Daz, which might be interesting for other XnView users.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

MrGoodcat44 wrote:An update on the file re-naming issue...
I posted the same question on a couple of forums and someone suggested that I try running xnview as an administrator, so I right clicked on the programme icon, selected 'run as administrator' from the drop down menu and hey presto, problem solved!
I wonder if this situation possibly resulted from installing XnView MP while logged into an Admin account, and then using it from a User account?