Capture overwrites previous screenshot, not creating new

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Mcinwwl

Capture overwrites previous screenshot, not creating new

Post by Mcinwwl »

Hi,

As far as I know, capture in XnView Classic should create screenshots following the naming convention posted here: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=14388
and I have a folder of screenshots from V 2016 that support that claim, and I didn't make changes to XnView settings since then.
Unfortunately, I realized today that the screenshots I'm taking today are being overwritten under the same name. I've tried different settings and nothing seems to work. After changing to capture images to program's memory it seems to be fine, but I'm not about to name and save every one of them manually.

I'm using current updated XnView 2.39, polish translation, Win 7 X 64, It's not blocked by any of my security programs. I'm trying to use hotkey capture of active window.

Not sure if a bug, settings problem, or my memory is leaking... thanks for any help.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Capture overwrites previous screenshot, not creating new

Post by xnview »

which filename do you use?
Pierre.
Mcinwwl

Post by Mcinwwl »

You mean the textbox between 'Folder' and 'Format' fields at the bottom of the window? If so, then, well, I've tried different including regular, ASCII only single words or multiple whitespace separated words, random string like "aaa" or "pugvbipu", I've tried leaving the field blank and putting special character "$", everything gave the same result.
(Of course "" are not the part of the name).
Folder path contain white space it (on of subfolder's name), but this wasn't the issue somewhen about 2.36.

Attachment should give you the impression of what I do (polish settings, sorry). I Used 2 XnView instances only for this test case, to capture the 'capture' window.

EDIT: And, as a side note, I recently run an old PC with some years old version of XnView, that didn't have name field, and it worked as expected -> automatically named my files.
Attachments
gdak.png
gdak.png (31.44 KiB) Viewed 842 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

please use something like capture_[mdY_HMS] as filename
Pierre.
Mcinwwl

Post by Mcinwwl »