Crop from the middle of the image

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

XnRoot

Crop from the middle of the image

Post by XnRoot »

hi,

i've created a lot of screenshots from texts. now i want to cut them and bring them to a readable size. the text ends 100px above the lower edge. after that there is unused space and at the bottom the page number and the number of the remaining ages in the current chapter. i want to crop a part of the unused space and bring the page number closer to the end of the text - with batch conversion. how can i do this? split the image into 2 images, cut it and bring them together?
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Crop from the middle of the image

Post by cday »

XnRoot wrote:I've created a lot of screenshots from texts. Now I want to cut them and bring them to a readable size. The text ends 100px above the lower edge. After that there is unused space and at the bottom the page number and the number of the remaining ages in the current chapter. I want to crop a part of the unused space and bring the page number closer to the end of the text - with batch conversion.

How can I do this? Split the image into 2 images, cut it and bring them together?
If you were doing that step-by-step for each page, I think you would crop the source image twice as you say to create two new images, then you could join the two new images using (in the Browser) Create > Strip of images... An alternative way of (in effect) joining the two new images would be to use the watermark function to place the lower image over the bottom of the first image (cropped a little deeper so that there is enough space).

But using batch conversion to process a series of pages probably isn't possible as far as I can see: the function for joining images isn't available as far as I know, although the watermark function is available, but the batch conversion operation can only apply the same watermark (lower page image) to each image processed, which isn't what you need.

The only way this could probably be done using XnView software is by using the command line utility NConvert in a batch file to make the two crops successively, and then watermark the second image onto the first image, with those three command lines applied successively to each source page image in a cmd-exe ('DOS') For loop, or other control structure. That's rather more advanced...

Are you able to upload an example page image?