Problem with upgrade to Version 2.40

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

philbess

Problem with upgrade to Version 2.40

Post by philbess »

For quite some time I have successfully used Version 2.39 on a Dell Optiplex 580 computer with a Canon MS300 microfilm scanner. I updated last week to Version 2.40, and now the scan does not show on the computer screen. In trying to diagnose the problem, it turns out that my Windows 7 operating system is a 32-bit version, and I was advised that Version 2.40 may be a 64-bit program, and that may be causing the problem. Can you verify that 2.40 is only a 64-bit program ? And if that is the problem, can I download Version 2.39 again to get the system operational ? Thanks for your assistance and any other thoughts !!! Phil Besselievre
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Problem with upgrade to Version 2.40

Post by XnTriq »

Welcome to the forum, Phil.

V2.40 — like all versions of XnView Classic before it — is only available as a 32-bit application.

Following the steps outlined below will hopefully fix the issue:
  1. Go to InfoAbout... to find the INI file location.
  2. Quit XnView.
  3. Open xnview.ini in a text editor. (Windows Notepad will do.)
  4. Go to the [Scan] section and add the following lines:

Code: Select all

newMethod=1
  5. Save the changes.
  6. Restart XnView.
  7. Go to FileSelect TWAN source... and pick the Canon MS300 from the list.
XnViw Wiki (UI-less Settings » [url=http://www.xnview.com/wiki/index.php/UI-less_Settings#Scan]Scan[/url]) wrote:
  • newMethod
    • When enabled, XnView uses a newer method for the batch scanning tool.
      Value: Boolean (1/0), disabled by default
Archived versions are still available for download on the official server:
philbess

Post by philbess »

Hello XnTriq, Thanks for your reply to my query. It has been a very long time since my experience with Basic and Fortran programming, but I think I finally found the proper INI file to add the suggested statement. There was not a [Scan] heading in the file, so I added it in alphabetical order, followed by the suggested statement on the next line. I did follow the next directions, but again, the film image did not show up on the computer screen. I decided to go to the archive, loaded and installed Version 2.39, but had the same results. An image from the flatbed scanner does transfer to the computer using both versions. I checked for loose cable connections, etc. and all seem to be in order. Clicking on "scan" in Xnview does cause the MS300 scanner to perform its' function, but the image does not transfer to the computer. At the moment I am stumped. Any other thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks again !!! Phil
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Hi again, Phil.
  1. Are you able to acquire film images directly into other applications from the MS300?
  2. Could you please check the Device Manager for problems regarding your SCSI host adapter or any other hardware?
For reference:
philbess

Post by philbess »

Hi XnTriq, Thanks again for your reply, and the direction to the LDSTech info. I see familiar names there and some good directions. I did check the Device Manager, and both scanner devices were listed, and the drivers are up-to-date. I now get MS300 scans on the computer screen while in the Administrator mode, but nothing (yet ?) in the Patron mode. I will continue to work at it, looking more carefully at the discussions on LDSTech. Thanks again for your help -- and any other suggestions you have. Phil
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Thanks for hanging in there, Phil :-)

Your latest findings remind me of a few similar reports we've had in the past:
Those users were able to solve the issue by configuring XnView to always run as an Administrator.

PS: Another solution may be to reinstall XnView in admin mode.