Moving through photos on an Android phone

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Daguerre

Moving through photos on an Android phone

Post by Daguerre »

XnView Ver 1.73 running under Win 10 Home 64bit with Creators update. Phone Moto G4 with Android 7.0.

The recent Win 10 Creators update seems to have messed up the Photos app (at least on my PC). Specifically, advancing forwards and backwards though a folder of jpeg photos seems to have become a very hit and miss affair.

Anyway, I changed the default photo viewer to XnView and, following advice on this forum, set it up up so that I could use the left and right keyboard arrow keys as well as the arrows at the top of the XnView page. This works perfectly well with photos on my PC and on a couple of external drives. However, I have just added some photos to a Moto G4 phone and XnView will not allow me to scroll through them. Is this a known problem or is it just something specific to my setup?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Moving through photos on an Android phone

Post by xnview »

and in browser do you see them?
Pierre.
Daguerre

Post by Daguerre »

Perhaps if I explain in detail the problem it might clarify things.

I plug the phone into a USB on my PC and go through the procedure on the phone for allowing transfer of photos by PTP.

I go into Windows Explorer and the folder on the phone containing my photos is accessible in Windows Explorer.

I click on any file in the above folder in Windows Explorer and it is displayed in XnView.

So far things are no different from when looking at other folders on on my PC or on my external HDs in Windows Explorer.

The problem starts when I attempt to scroll forward or backwards through the photos on the phone using either the left and right arrows in XnView or the left and right arrow keys on my keyboard. They will not scroll. To be precise, they may allow two or three changes of photo (seemingly randomly selected) but things then grind to a halt; no further scrolling is possible.
user123

Post by user123 »

Same problem. XnView just doesn't show anything related to Android device that is connected, no folders, no files. Whether it's file transfer or PTP mode - there is just blank screen.
as1.png