How to get version 2.40 to play .mp4 files

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

JustRay

How to get version 2.40 to play .mp4 files

Post by JustRay »

XnView Classic for Windows version 2.40.
Windows 10 home, with all available updates applied.

I just downloaded and install the XnView Classic app to my laptop.
I love it.
It has everything I want except that it will not play .mp4 files.

I am able to play the .mp4 files using a number of other apps without issue.
But, I really like THIS app and wondering if there was something I might do to get XnView to recognize .mp4 files.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
JustRay

Re: How to get version 2.40 to play .mp4 files

Post by JustRay »

Based on a string started by "FlyAway" on 5-7-11, I think I have my issue resolved.

Here's what I did (In case anyone else is experiencing this issue.)

Stopped XnView.
Did a search for and then downloaded "ffmpeg-20170724-03a9e6f-win64-static.zip" (to my pc) from https://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html.
Extracted the contents of the downloaded zipped file to a temporary folder.
Copied ffmpeg.exe from the "bin" folder inside of the temporary folder to my pc's "Program Files (x86) XnView\Addon" folder.
Deleted the temporary folder. (Cuz I like to keep things clean.)
Restarted XnView.
Now I have thumbnails for the .mp4 files.
Onlyzen

Post by Onlyzen »

JustRay wrote:Based on a string started by "FlyAway" on 5-7-11, I think I have my issue resolved.

Here's what I did (In case anyone else is experiencing this issue.)

Stopped XnView.
Did a search for and then downloaded "ffmpeg-20170724-03a9e6f-win64-static.zip" (to my pc) from https://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html.
Extracted the contents of the downloaded zipped file to a temporary folder.
Copied ffmpeg.exe from the "bin" folder inside of the temporary folder to my pc's "Program Files (x86) XnView\Addon" folder.
Deleted the temporary folder. (Cuz I like to keep things clean.)
Restarted XnView.
Now I have thumbnails for the .mp4 files.
Hi RustRay,
I test XnView, and I am use this little viewer, for about one week, because it works faster and have much more options than windows photo viewer. It is perfect for fast edit. I just want to know can i use this app on window 10?
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

I use to have an USB key with my last pictures ready for slideshow wherever I go.
The drive just have XnView (Classic, last 2.44) and a small script that create a slide file(.sld) and starts it.

Keeping in mind I don't want to install the K-Lite Codec Pack on any machines of my friends and family I tried the above method but doesn't get to read .MP4 files. Thumbnails are created, video are not shown, just a blank screen that's it.

I tried on both Windows 10 and Windows 7, both 64 bits.
I tried the ffmpeg.exe file from both the 32 bits and the 64 bits packages.
I tied to copy all 3 .exe files provided to the XnView\AddOn folder
I noticed Windows blocks these .exe files 1st time we use it (for security). So it needs to be run and accept bypassing this security control once on each new machine.

Any idea?

EDIT: I tried with the latest version of XnView MP (0.90) and got the same results
Daniel, promoting XnView since 2004, moved to MP (exclusively) years ago (Platform Windows and Linux Ubuntu)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

B.Douille wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 11:19 am EDIT: I tried with the latest version of XnView MP (0.90) and got the same results
You can't play .mp4 with XnViewMP??
Pierre.
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

Both with MP and with the Classic one. My goal was to use XnView on an USB key with FFmpeg in the AddOn as described here.

Doing so I can demo slideshows anywhere without need to install K-lite codecs on the target machine (which I can't impose to the PC owners).
Daniel, promoting XnView since 2004, moved to MP (exclusively) years ago (Platform Windows and Linux Ubuntu)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

B.Douille wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:38 am Both with MP and with the Classic one. My goal was to use XnView on an USB key with FFmpeg in the AddOn as described here.

Doing so I can demo slideshows anywhere without need to install K-lite codecs on the target machine (which I can't impose to the PC owners).
Strange, MP has his own internal codec (based on ffmpeg)
Pierre.
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

I know with MP, the Internal Video Player could be used but it looks unstable on some machines, choppy video or stuttering sound (but these are in other topics): Unreliable for my application.
I thought the method of adding the file FFmpeg.exe in the AddOn folder was still supported (especially for the Classic version that I still use for these slideshows). Is it?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

B.Douille wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:12 pm I know with MP, the Internal Video Player could be used but it looks unstable on some machines, choppy video or stuttering sound (but these are in other topics): Unreliable for my application.
I thought the method of adding the file FFmpeg.exe in the AddOn folder was still supported (especially for the Classic version that I still use for these slideshows). Is it?
ffmpeg is only used for video thumbnails
Pierre.
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

Ok title is missleading, maybe it can be changed for clarity. JustRay who opened this topic was happy with the thumbnails, it was enough for him.

For me still I need to find a way forward. Improving stability and rendering of video in MP with internal player is the one. I'll get back via another topic :wink:

Thank's anyway for this very useful application. Viewing, sorting, selecting, renaming, aligning timestamps for both still and moving pictures all together is unique. Not mentioning the specific features to improve still pictures which are powerful ans easy-to-use :D