Categorization lost when renaming file

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Categorization lost when renaming file

Post by xnview »

XnView-User wrote: It’s all about the “category.db” which doesn’t follow changes with file-names or -paths. With this persisting bug in the categories feature in your classic XnView application, here with no automatic refresh of the “category.db” or at least a manual possibility to do so, the categories feature in my opinion is useless.
i need to fix it but not easy in XnView classic...
But how could I move from XnView to XnViewMP with all(!) my old settings?

I already tried to paste my old xnview.ini in XnViewMP to have the same layout, menue-orders etc. as in XnView, but this didn’t really work.
No you can't, you need to change the settings of MP version
As I see there isn’t a “category.db” in XnViewMP. So how can I import or transfer my “category.db” to XnView MP? And secondly, does the category database from XnViewMP follow changes with file-names or file-paths or would I be confronted with the same problem like in XnView, here with lost categories after file-operations like rename or move?
You can import category.db in MP Settings>Catalog>Tools>Import category.db
Yes, renaming/moving change correctly
And in MP, you can use XMP metadata to store keywords, or even (in next release) use sidecar...
Pierre.
XnView-User

Re: Categorization lost

Post by XnView-User »

Hi Pierre. First off all sorry for my very late reply. I have been sick and completely offline for almost 2 weeks.

I decided now to stick to the good old classic “XnView Full-Version” which I’m using for many years now and just hope that you might fix the category bugs in a near feature.

Let me resume the problem for you. Categories are lost…

after deleting a file or folder and/or
after moving a file or folder and/or
after renaming a file or folder.

But not only the categories are lost afterwards. There then also appear these strange “Textfiles” in the category view (please see screenshot). One can only get rid of them by "right-click" + "remove from this category".

Regarding your new XnViewMP application, I tried it out in the meantime. I also read many posts in your forum regarding XnViewMP. I personally find XnViewMP very confusing compared to the classic XnView and therefore too difficult to use. The import of the “category.db” worked, yes, but resulted in a huge mess of categories. Also the default categories remained after this procedure. Very confusing I think. I believe that the current XnViewMP is still something like a Beta-Version.

What I do not understand is why you invest time and effort developing this XnViewMP. We already have 3 different versions of XnView (Minimal, Standard and Full). For what now this XnViewMP project? Why not just maintain, improve, bugfix and maybe extend these 3 already existing very good classic XnView versions?

Because your classic “XnView Full-Version” is such a great program and even freeware for private users. I wouldn’t know how to administer my huge photo collection without it. A BIG THANK YOU for this!!
Attachments
textfiles due to lost categories in XnView.jpg
Using: XnView Classic on a Windows 7 64-bit system and XnView MP on a macOS and Windows 10 system.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

XnView-User wrote: Regarding your new XnViewMP application, I tried it out in the meantime. I also read many posts in your forum regarding XnViewMP. I personally find XnViewMP very confusing compared to the classic XnView and therefore too difficult to use. The import of the “category.db” worked, yes, but resulted in a huge mess of categories. Also the default categories remained after this procedure. Very confusing I think. I believe that the current XnViewMP is still something like a Beta-Version.
why Confusing? You have same ui, and it's not a beta :)
What I do not understand is why you invest time and effort developing this XnViewMP. We already have 3 different versions of XnView (Minimal, Standard and Full). For what now this XnViewMP project? Why not just maintain, improve, bugfix and maybe extend these 3 already existing very good classic XnView versions?
XnView can't use unicode, or use x64 processor, now it's a project difficult to maintain/extend. But i continue to fixed bugs in XnView Classic.
Pierre.
XnView-User

Categorization problem: Status Quo?

Post by XnView-User »

Hi Pierre. I saw that you just released Version 2.38.

How is the situation with the "categorization problem" now, almost 18 months later after our last interchange here?

Could you fix this issue the meantime??
Using: XnView Classic on a Windows 7 64-bit system and XnView MP on a macOS and Windows 10 system.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Categorization problem: Status Quo?

Post by xnview »

XnView-User wrote: How is the situation with the "categorization problem" now, almost 18 months later after our last interchange here?
Could you fix this issue the meantime??
I need to check if it's possible to fix this problem easily
XnView-User wrote: Regarding your new XnViewMP application, I tried it out in the meantime. I also read many posts in your forum regarding XnViewMP. I personally find XnViewMP very confusing compared to the classic XnView and therefore too difficult to use. The import of the “category.db” worked, yes, but resulted in a huge mess of categories. Also the default categories remained after this procedure. Very confusing I think. I believe that the current XnViewMP is still something like a Beta-Version.
i would like to understand why it's confusing? and what is the problem with categories?
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

I come back to this problem
XnView-User wrote: Let me resume the problem for you. Categories are lost…

after deleting a file or folder and/or
after moving a file or folder and/or
after renaming a file or folder.
I can reproduce the problem only for deleting a file.
If i rename or move a file within the browser of XnView, the category will remains
Pierre.