Bugs in color management when saving

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

beiti

Bugs in color management when saving

Post by beiti »

When I use batch processing (f. g. resize) on pictures containing ICC profiles and have the pictures saved in JPEG or TIFF format, everything works perfectly: The processed pictures are left in the original colors and have the correct profile embedded.

Unfortunately this is not true when I save single pictures directly via "Save" or "Save As...".

Bug 1:
When I open a picture in XnView and save it via "File > Save As..." in JPEG format, XnView does embedd the correct profile, but leaves the colors in the monitor color space.

Bug 2:
When I open a picture in XnView and save it via "File > Save" or "File > Save As..." in TIFF format, XnView leaves the colors in the monitor color space and embedds the monitor profile.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Bugs in color management when saving

Post by xnview »

Yes, save/saveas convert the picture with ICC profile, so profile can't be kept...
Pierre.
beiti

Post by beiti »

xnview wrote:Yes, save/saveas convert the picture with ICC profile, so profile can't be kept...
But this is wrong. Can't you change it in one of the next versions?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

beiti wrote:
xnview wrote:Yes, save/saveas convert the picture with ICC profile, so profile can't be kept...
But this is wrong. Can't you change it in one of the next versions?
Currently it's not possible, the picture loaded is in sRGB
Pierre.
Slider2k

Post by Slider2k »

As of v.2.39 color management is still incompatible with image editing/saving.

Problem:
If color management is enabled and ICC profile is selected an image's color values are translated into that ICC profile's color space (usually monitor's) upon opening and displaying. As if the selected ICC profile is the "working space". If an image is saved the translated color values are saved "as is" in an untagged RGB color space. This leads to incorrect display of colors upon viewing the saved image in color managed apps, as untagged RGB images are assumed to be in sRGB color space by default. But even when viewing this image with correct ICC profile manually assigned, the noise introduced by quantization error due to forced color space conversions becomes apparent.

Solution:
An image's original color space should be kept intact and all work should be done in that color space (original RGB values) without any color conversions, and subsequently be saved in that color space. The color management function should only be used for on-the-fly color space conversion for displaying purposes only.