2.36: Right click-delete does not work

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

sibojan

2.36: Right click-delete does not work

Post by sibojan »

I had been using XnView 2.20 for a long time before I recently upgraded to 2.36. Then the delete file function is not working anymore. Nothing happens when I right-click delete in 2.36. I even do not see any windows pop out. Not surprisingly, downgrading back to 2.20 dose solve the problem. However, 2.36 works fine with my another win7 computer. It seems that 2.36 delete module is very picky about the the environment.I am using windows 7 sp1. Can some help solve that? I really do not want to reinstall the whole windows system.

Thank you,
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Right click- delete does not work in new version

Post by xnview »

Edit>Delete doesn't work??
Pierre.
sibojan

Post by sibojan »

Very interesting. Edit > Delete works very well but right click and File delete does not.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Deleting via right-click and "Delete" works fine, here. In menu "Tools > Options", category "General", tab "File operations", what is the state of the checkboxes "Confirm file delete" and "Delete to Recycle Bin"?
sibojan

Post by sibojan »

I tried that. Whether the "Confirm file delete" and "Delete to Recycle Bin" are checked or not, the right click file- delete dost not work.
helmut

Post by helmut »

sibojan wrote:I tried that. Whether the "Confirm file delete" and "Delete to Recycle Bin" are checked or not, the right click file- delete dost not work.
Thank you for checking. That's very strange because (I guess) both the menu and the context menu (right click) trigger the same "Delete" function. Which Windows version do you use? Could you perhaps post your settings (xnview.ini file)? You'll find the location of the xnview.ini file in the About dialog of XnView (menu "Info > About").
sibojan

Post by sibojan »

Hi helmut,

Thank you so much for your help. I really love this software and hope to follow the new version.
How can I send you the files? My email address is siboj9{ät}gmail{d0t}com. Maybe you can shoot me an email and I reply back.
I can also do a screen recording to give you direct feeling about the problem.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

I have no problem here, you are in browser mode?
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

If tried to reproduce your problem with some success:
In View Mode (not browser mode), when you delete the very last image in a folder, the file is deleted but the image remains displayed. Thus, it looks as if the image wasn't deleted. When you close the image you will find that the folder is empty.

The problem can be reproduced with both the "Edit > Delete" menu and right-click and then "Delete..".

Is this the problem you experience, sibojan?
sibojan

Post by sibojan »

No, my issue is not exactly the same. The right-click -delete is really not able to delete it. If I refresh the folder or close the image, that image is still there.

However, I surprisingly solved this issue by switching to the setup version. I have been using the portable versions for years and that problem seems to occur only when I updated to the 2.36 portable version.
helmut

Post by helmut »

sibojan wrote:No, my issue is not exactly the same. The right-click -delete is really not able to delete it. If I refresh the folder or close the image, that image is still there.
O.k., I just wondered.
sibojan wrote:However, I surprisingly solved this issue by switching to the setup version. I have been using the portable versions for years and that problem seems to occur only when I updated to the 2.36 portable version.
Good that deleting your configuration file (xnview.ini) did resolve your problem. Strange that a wrong configuration can have such an effect, but good to know. :-)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

sibojan wrote:However, I surprisingly solved this issue by switching to the setup version. I have been using the portable versions for years and that problem seems to occur only when I updated to the 2.36 portable version.
But it's the same version. Perhaps a problem with xnview.ini??
Pierre.
sibojan

Post by sibojan »

The thing is different from what I initially thought. The culprit is the mouse setting, once you change the preference - mouse- right click - make selection. The the right click function will see malfunction. Even you have setup version, once that setting is touched, that issue will come out.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

right, with " right click - make selection", delete doesn't work anymore
Pierre.
sibojan

Post by sibojan »

Will you fix it in the next version?