Mac OS X: Info & installation

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on MacOS X

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

Mac OS X: Info & installation

Post by helmut »

XnView 1.70 - Outdated
For Mac OS X, there is XnView 1.70 for Mac OS X, availabe. Please note that compared to XnView on Windows this XnView version is outdated (compared to the XnView on Windows) and "speaks" English, only. Also the look of Motif is different to other Mac OSX applications.

Installation of XnView 1.70

XnView 1.70 requires X11 (Motif). By default, X11 is not installed on Mac OS X, so you have to install it. When searching apple.com for X11 you will find many hits.

From what I can see this is the Apple page for X11. On that webpage it says: "- Bundled: Optional install from the third Mac OS X v10.3 Panther CD.", so you might have it already on your installation CDs. Otherwise you have to download the package (43MB) - download link is on that page.

XnView MP
There's a new version of XnView under development: XnView MP. This version will run with native Mac OS X and will look and feel like a real Mac application. XnView MP is still in a very early development stage and core functionality like cropping is missing. It may still be worth like having a look at the test version: XnView MP - Early development version

So all in all the current situation with XnView on Mac OSX is not good (with XnView 1.70), but looks promising (with XnView MP).

PS:
Please note that I don't have a Mac - the above info is taken from various posts, here. Please feel free to post here if you have additional hints and tipps for the installation on Mac OS X.
osxwin

Re: Mac OS X: Info & installation

Post by osxwin »

Current XNViewMP version does not install on my 32Bit OS S X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard with an error that it is not compatible with this version of OS X.
X-windows is already on it since I needed it for OpenOffice and a few other Open Source programs.
Any other link/version I could try? I am not allowed to enter the earlier development version link.

thanks, mercy beaucoups en advance,
Fred
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Mac OS X: Info & installation

Post by xnview »

osxwin wrote:Current XNViewMP version does not install on my 32Bit OS S X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard with an error that it is not compatible with this version of OS X.
Not the good forum :) but XnViewMP is now only for 10.7
Pierre.