Why no commercial Xnview for OSX?

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on MacOS X

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Schattenreiter

Why no commercial Xnview for OSX?

Post by Schattenreiter »

Hy,

I only wanted to ask, why there's no Commercial version for OSX?

I mean, we Macusers are known to pay for good Software, after all. ;)

So, if there's a Pro-Version for Winusers, why none for OSX? Don't tell me, you couldn't use the money... ;)

After all, there's only one good Commercial option out there... and GraphicConv. is less than satisfying... :P
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Why no commercial Xnview for OSX?

Post by xnview »

Schattenreiter wrote:Hy,

I only wanted to ask, why there's no Commercial version for OSX?

I mean, we Macusers are known to pay for good Software, after all. ;)

So, if there's a Pro-Version for Winusers, why none for OSX? Don't tell me, you couldn't use the money... ;)

After all, there's only one good Commercial option out there... and GraphicConv. is less than satisfying... :P
Perhaps in the future :-)
Pierre.
Nick Floersch

XnView deluxe for Mac OS X

Post by Nick Floersch »

If there was an XnView deluxe for Mac OS X, it would be the *only* image browsing and viewing application for Mac OS X *yet* that I would quickly get my wallet out for and buy. I have tried probably 50 different image browsing and viewing applications for OS X, and compared to XnView, all of them are crap. They are either too slow, or are too complicated to do a simple task - i.e. browse images in different directories efficiently.

XnView is the best program for doing this that I have used on a Unix platform. On Windows, ACDSee classic was a competitor, though XnView is better now. On OS/2, there was PMView, and I bought it. On BeOS, the ACDSee clone ABeSee was the only way to go - but if BeoS had had XnView, XnView would have been better. On on NeXTStep - well, there was nothing (worth using), and we really needed XnView.

Mind you, I'm not talking about image processing, I'm talking about browsing and vieiwng large photo collections and such. On MacOS X, iPhoto is horrible for this. XnView reigns supreme, even if it is not up to date.
moco

Re: XnView deluxe for Mac OS X

Post by moco »

Nick Floersch wrote:I have tried probably 50 different image browsing and viewing applications for OS X, and compared to XnView, all of them are crap. They are either too slow, or are too complicated to do a simple task - i.e. browse images in different directories efficiently.

XnView is the best program for doing this that I have used on a Unix platform.
I tested XnView a view minutes ago on my PB G4 756 and I feel very uncompfortable, because it takes about 6 seconds to get a jpeg with about 3 to 4MB - that isn´t fast!
I haven´t tested that amount of programs you did, but I´m searching for a while for a program with that skills you wrote.
How can I get it faster?
There is no 1.82 Version for Mac, is it?
Nick Floersch wrote:On Windows, ACDSee classic was a competitor, though XnView is better now. On OS/2, there was PMView, and I bought it. On BeOS, the ACDSee clone ABeSee was the only way to go - but if BeoS had had XnView, XnView would have been better. On on NeXTStep - well, there was nothing (worth using), and we really needed XnView.
Have you tested ACDSee for Mac? I want to, but I can´t find anybody having it. ;-) :-(
Nick Floersch wrote:Mind you, I'm not talking about image processing, I'm talking about browsing and vieiwng large photo collections and such. On MacOS X, iPhoto is horrible for this. XnView reigns supreme, even if it is not up to date.
exactly! 8)

cheers

moco
Schattenreiter

Re: XnView deluxe for Mac OS X

Post by Schattenreiter »

moco wrote:There is no 1.82 Version for Mac, is it?
Nope, not up till now... everyone is drooling for that day to come, so... ;)
moco wrote:Have you tested ACDSee for Mac? I want to, but I can´t find anybody having it. ;-) :-(
I've tested it a year ago. Not worth your wile, and pretty unstable, too (at least under Panther 10.3.9 and 10.4.2).
Not surprising, since it wasn't updated in the last three years or such... only found it with limewire, so... :P

Well... seems like we have to wait and pray for the next update... :o :(