Hidden features and settings

Group for those who want to contribute to the Help file

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Ty

Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Hello Ty,
Ty wrote:I have added, changed, fixed, etc., everything you suggested in your latest posts. Lots of things!
thanks!

Ty wrote:The only thing I didn't deal with is this:
- Browser > Reopen/Refresh is listed twice. I see it's not the same, "view and fullscreen mode" is incorrect, also one shortcut is missing, so I suggest to change this:

"Refresh - F5, Shift+R"
"Reopen (view and fullscreen mode) - F5"

To:

"Refresh - F5, Shift+R"
"Refresh (rebuild thumbnails) - Ctrl+R"
I don't quite understand what's going on here. What is "refresh" anyway? And how is it different from "rebuild thumbnails?"
F5 is listed twice - for refresh and reopen. I'm not sure what exactly "refresh" is, browser list just blinks, Ctrl+R also rebuilds thumbnails, therefore I have suggested those terms.
Dreamer
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Ty wrote:Dreamer--

The question about Excel was this:

Do you think it's possible to create a spreadsheet of all the shortcut keys and then have it be the "master copy" that you, Pierre and me (and anybody else who is interested) all work off of?

For example: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... MYGrvL4icw

(This is not up-to-date, but shows how we might use Google spreadsheets)

How do you and Pierre keep track of things now?
I just watch the changelog and update that topic, but if Pierre could update it when he is updating the changelog, it would be perfect.

It should work also with OpenOffice, it can open and save the excel (xls) files, perhaps you could send me the xls with shortcuts (from the current Help), I could try to edit it, save and send it back, then you could check if everything is alright. If you agree, please send me your email per PM, or upload the file somewhere... Thanks.
Dreamer
Ty

Post by Ty »

Dreamer--

I think we should hear from Pierre on this subject.

One idea would be this:

1. Pierre updates change log, as usual

2. You add new info--new key, new function, changed name, bug fix, anything involving a shortcut--to spreadsheet

3. All new info you (a) mark with blue or green or some color, and (b) put at top of spreadsheet.

4. You tell me of changes, send me the spreadsheet.

5. When I have made the changes, I change color back to black. Then you sort and put them in their proper place, knowing that I've got them in the doc.

I think Google docs would work nicely for this....
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Ty wrote:Dreamer--

One idea would be this:

1. Pierre updates change log, as usual
I can change the shortcut on spreadsheet too
Pierre.
Ty

Post by Ty »

Yes, that's what I meant. I guess my earlier message wasn't clear.

1. Pierre makes changes to the change log, as he has always done. He does not deal with the spreadsheet.

2. As soon as you get the latest change log, you use it to update the spreadsheet and make sure everything is up to date.

3. ...
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Hello Ty,

still not perfect, but we're near...

Few notes for the latest chm:

- Shortcut is missing for "Rebuild thumbnails" (Ctrl+R) - I think the name should be "Refresh (rebuild thumbnails)" because there are also other modes without thumbnails. Don't know what would be the best though...

- "Refresh - F5, Shift+R" - I think the same way should be used for all shortcuts, so "F5 (or) Shift+R"

- "Generate file listing" is twice, for two shortcuts - Shift+L and Ctrl+M

- You're using "*" for two different things in "All modes" and other modes (browser, viewer, mouse shortcuts), perhaps a different sign should be used, since we can't use it for "Toggle between modes - Enter" for example - it's customizable too.

- I think "(hold)" for mouse shortcuts (but not for "Left button (hold)" for example) is not needed, explanation at main Shortcut Keys category is enough - and it's not listed for all shortcuts. If you think there should be a special note about it, then it might be at main Shortcut Keys page, where you're explaining the keyboard shortcuts (Shift+L).

- I'm not sure about the mode "Viewer", perhaps "View" should be used - it's also in Options - Pierre also uses term "Edit mode" - it means viewer and fullscreen - I'd use "View"...
Dreamer
Ty

Post by Ty »

Hey Dreamer--

We're getting pretty good at this....
- "Generate file listing" is twice, for two shortcuts - Shift+L and Ctrl+M

- Shortcut is missing for "Rebuild thumbnails" (Ctrl+R) - I think the name should be "Refresh (rebuild thumbnails)" because there are also other modes without thumbnails. Don't know what would be the best though...

- "Refresh - F5, Shift+R" - I think the same way should be used for all shortcuts, so "F5 (or) Shift+R"

- I think "(hold)" for mouse shortcuts (but not for "Left button (hold)" for example) is not needed, explanation at main Shortcut Keys category is enough - and it's not listed for all shortcuts. If you think there should be a special note about it, then it might be at main Shortcut Keys page, where you're explaining the keyboard shortcuts (Shift+L).
All these things are done/changed/fixed as you suggest. Thank you.
- You're using "*" for two different things in "All modes" and other modes (browser, viewer, mouse shortcuts), perhaps a different sign should be used, since we can't use it for "Toggle between modes - Enter" for example - it's customizable too.
Good observation. I've changed the asterisk ( * ) in "All modes" to a dagger ( † ), and then added an asterisk to "Toggle between modes." Thanks.
- I'm not sure about the mode "Viewer", perhaps "View" should be used - it's also in Options - Pierre also uses term "Edit mode" - it means viewer and fullscreen - I'd use "View"...
I made the conscious decision to change all occurances of "View Mode" to "Viewer" or "Viewer Mode", because it goes better with "Browser." I sent Pierre a note, and I think he agrees with this decision. So thank you for the good input and observations, but I think I'm going to stick with "Viewer." If you REALLY REALLY don't like it, then we can talk about it some more.

So NOW is it perfect?!!!
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Hello Ty,

regarding the view/viewer - I like "viewer" too, but Pierre is using "view" and "edit" sometimes, so I thought it might be confusing, but if it's OK for you and Pierre, it's OK also for me.

I see you're waiting for something, so here it is...

DONE!

I don't know whether it's perfect, or not, Pierre implement some hidden options and there might be some forgotten shortcut, but it's perfect for me.

Thank you very much. :)
Dreamer
Ty

Post by Ty »

Well darn, I was hoping for "Perfect."

But will settle for "done."

I've already made a spreadsheet, am about ready to post it to Google.

I'm also interested in your thoughts and comments about the ORGANIZATION of the shortcut keys. I have to get rid of some empty lines and such, but do you think they're in the right places? Should the order be different? Any comments you have about the esthetics / look-and-feel of this section of the help file will be appreciated also.

Now that we've invested all this time and energy in learning to work together so well, what shall we tackle next? Maybe you'd like to write descriptions for all of the missing "Menu" options?!!
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Hello Ty,

now you see why I didn't say "perfect" - keyboard shortcut for an existing feature has been added in the last version. Also another shortcuts have been added, but the info in the changelog is wrong, so I suggest to wait untill Pierre will fix those issues and release a new version. A user has found another issue...

More info:

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=53802#53802

Start Slide Show - Pause
Stop Slide Show - Esc
Quick Slide Show - Space *

These shortcuts should be moved from "Browse mode" to "View mode".

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=53777#53777

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=13595
Dreamer
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Any reply? Pierre, could you update the Help please, it's just few new shortcuts.
Dreamer
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:Any reply? Pierre, could you update the Help please, it's just few new shortcuts.
I'll ask Ty
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Thanks.
Dreamer