fine work - next version ?

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

hannes_hab

fine work - next version ?

Post by hannes_hab »

Hello,

this software has really fine features! (compare images ...)
congratulations!

when will the next version - with the ability to save (sreenshots) to crop and change size, contact-sheet e.g. - be available?

best regards

hannes
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: fine work - next version ?

Post by xnview »

hannes_hab wrote: this software has really fine features! (compare images ...)
congratulations!
when will the next version - with the ability to save (sreenshots) to crop and change size, contact-sheet e.g. - be available?
I'll upload a new version with some bugs fixed in 1/2 weeks, and after i continue the development.
I don't know yet if batch rename + batch convert + contact sheet is more important than image processing in view mode... (i means as first things to develop)
Pierre.
hannes_hab

Post by hannes_hab »

"version with some bugs fixed in 1/2 weeks"
great!

I prefer layout "filmstrip 1" but the layout is not saved and looks strange, after a new start- I have to change to "free" then back to "filmstrip 1" and then resive window parts .....
I can take screenshots but not save ....

"I don't know yet if batch rename + batch convert + contact sheet is more important than image processing in view mode ..."

For my usage batch convert (with resize) and contact sheet (with the ability to have informations to folders and path on header or footer) is the most important thing!
Xnview is a very good tool for viewing, sorting, converting (I use mapivi for importing and editing iptc, bibble to process ...) cropping and now comparing images.
For Image processing there are other (and better) tools like bibble, lightzone, gimp or eclipse.

So for me it would be fin to have the first mentioned features first!

best regards
hannes
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

I don't know yet if batch rename + batch convert + contact sheet is more important than image processing in view mode... (i means as first things to develop)
Pierre,
with xnview you're having an extremely promising and attractive image viewer/browser.
Congrats again for the wonderful work !

If you are unsure about what to tackle next with xnviewMP I do have some suggestion for you:
(they might be considered as details for some users, but I believe that's exactly where lies the quality of an application)

1. Try to optimize the viewer performance (have a look at other application -picasa 3 viewer for example- and how they handle their display when browsing fast and repeatedly through images)
Currently with xnviewMP keeping the page-up/down key pressed (which by the way is not the most obvious key you would expect to navigate) simply crashes the application(vista 64) and pressing it repeatedly does not feel very responsive.
2. Thumbnail generation is currently incremental. When browsing a very large folder with image sequence you could end up waiting quite a while before seeing the last image thumb. It would be great if you could prioritize the thumbnail generation to the currently visible thumbs within the thumbs view (just like windows explorer do).
3.Don't put any image manipulation into it. (that's another program job) it will leave you more time to work on the details. :D
4.Yes, batch operation can be extremely useful... if they are operated by a rock stable application. :wink: