Size of Overlay Icons

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ehathgepiurhe

Size of Overlay Icons

Post by ehathgepiurhe »

Hi,

It would be nice if MP could include an option to resize the thumbnail overlay icons - I find them way too small to see (1920x1200 desktop resolution). Here's a good example - the Ratings overlay on one of the MP graphic files:
http://i.imgur.com/rnDLeQc.png

As you can see, very tiny and difficult to see if you don't have perfect eyesight. I thought a workaround in the meantime may have been to use Filename+Labels in the View menu, and then add the rating as a label - but I don't believe that labels is a valid tag to use for labels sadly (at least I could not find it in the list of tags).

Thanks!
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: Size of Overlay Icons

Post by m.Th. »

+1

...and it is difficult to click on them in order to change the rating / coloring.

But I'd propose 2 solutions:

1. (easiest) say to have a bigger series of icons.
2. (best) to have two (or three?, or infinite?) series of icons grouped in subfolders of the folder ...\UI\Overlay . The program will read the names of the subfolders and offer somewhere (in the Settings window, most probably) the possibility to change them. Pretty similar with the toolbar skin engine in the XnView.
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

HHD Software uses vector icons, but unfortunately they come in Adobe's SWF file format.
Hex Editor Neo (Release Notes » [url=http://www.hhdsoftware.com/hex-editor/release-notes#ID0EVKAE]v4.01[/url] » Native support for high-DPI displays) wrote:Hex Editor fully supports high-DPI displays. All Hex Editor's user interface elements, including texts and icons, are properly scaled. As long as all graphics elements are rendered using vector technology, there are no artifacts on high-DPI displays. In addition, Hex Editor allows you to change the size of icons on the main toolbar in a wide range. Hex Editor supports both Windows XP and Windows Vista high-DPI implementations.
Device Monitoring Studio (Online Help » [url=http://www.hhdsoftware.com/doc/usb-serial-network/configuration-commands-tab.html]Commands Tab[/url]) wrote:The Device Monitoring Studio's unique vector icon technology renders command icons at any size without artifacts.
Dirk13

Post by Dirk13 »

Yes, please.
Same with "old" XnView: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29649
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

i'll ask yuri for higher resolution icons
Pierre.
Dirk13

Post by Dirk13 »

Great, thank you, that would help!

In the long run, I think, vector-based icons might be needed.
As XnTriq wrote, many programs now tend to use vector graphics, e.g. with SVG.
Looking to the available 4K-UHD displays, which will become cheaper and more popular, this will be more flexible than bitmaps.

But I understand that, for the moment, would mean too much work.
pvcx

Post by pvcx »

+1

I understand from Mario that currently there is not a way to increase the size of the star rating overlays. I would like to add my request for this feature as well. I use a 13.3" monitor at 1366x768 resolution and I can barely see them.

Bigger stars would be ok, but ideally I would want the stars in a row, with 4 stars showing for a 4-star rating etc. This is because I also find it hard to distinguish the colors (maybe because they are so small).

Thank you.
Korben

Post by Korben »

Standard icons for labels and stars so tiny, i barely see them. Is there any option to solve this problem? Maybe some colored background for images, basing on labels, or maybe something else? I searched for png of this icons in program folder, but nothing there, just interface icons. How to change them, in what file they are stored? I really want to use Xn, but big and easy readable labels is critical for me, is there anything i can do to change them?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Korben wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:16 pmStandard icons for labels and stars so tiny, i barely see them. Is there any option to solve this problem? Maybe some colored background for images, basing on labels, or maybe something else? I searched for png of this icons in program folder, but nothing there, just interface icons. How to change them, in what file they are stored? I really want to use Xn, but big and easy readable labels is critical for me, is there anything i can do to change them?
Please refer to “Colors for Thumbnails, Overlay Icons” for a solution.