FLIF file format support for MP

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Marsu42

FLIF file format support for MP

Post by Marsu42 »

It's in XnView Classic, but not in MP (yet) - could it be added, too, pretty please with sugar on it :-) ?

It's such a nice format and is really ahead of the lossless competition. Plus it's oss and (supposed to be) patent free, thus supporting it would be a show of faith itself. And as it's actively developed so the dev should be open to communication (unlike bpg or xr).

Here was the request ticket for Classic: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... if#p134729
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: FLIF file format support for MP

Post by XnTriq »

Marsu42

Post by Marsu42 »

I don't get it, I really don't...

... so I downloaded the alledged "working" flif plugin (from http://www.encode.ru/threads/2321?p=478 ... #post47861) and put it into my respective x86 and x64 XnViewMP plugin folders. And, who would have guessed, I now can *save* a .flif file. Alas, I cannot *load* it, it doesn't show up in the file list and if I try to force to read this very .flif via command line it's "File can't be loaded".

In any case, this flif plugin is outdated - it needs to be recompiled with the new and incompatible 0.2 flif code... ImageMagick just updated, too. So for reference I'm attaching a working 0.2 flif sample, only if you're able to load this one all's working.
Attachments
wizard.flif.zip
FLIF 0.2 sample image
(71.82 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Marsu42 wrote:I don't get it, I really don't...
Same here :-|

I did my tests with MP v0.83 as well as Classic v2.36 and the beta of v2.37. No matter which libflif.dll I use — the one provided by Pierre (flif.zip) or those available from encode.ru (FLIF_ca72a18.rar): Writing FLIFs seems to work, reading doesn't.
Marsu42

Post by Marsu42 »

XnTriq wrote:
Marsu42 wrote:I don't get it, I really don't...
Same here :-|
Always nice not to be the only one being lost :-) ... let's hope some dev figures out why reading .flif doesn't work, I have no idea what api XnView expects from a dll.

Edit 1: I've requested a new dll: http://encode.ru/threads/2321-FLIF-Free ... #post50482

Edit 2: The other forum has the solution - the official x86 dll works in Classic and MP, but the x64 dll fails with MP ... https://github.com/FLIF-hub/FLIF/releases

Edit 3: Here are the flif 0.2 dlls working in both x86 and x64: http://encode.ru/threads/2321-FLIF-Free ... #post50489
... but here's a copy/paste for the bug report from the other forum:
however, mp 0.83 seems to have a bug, the saved file has 0 bytes, but the real filecan be found in thee program's dir and is called C.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Thanks a lot, Marsu42 :-D
kwukduck

Post by kwukduck »

Great to see FLIF support. I hope it gets fully implemented including options for tweaking settings and lossy format. This format has great potential, afaik it beats every other format in every aspect.
Marsu42

Post by Marsu42 »

kwukduck wrote:This format has great potential, afaik it beats every other format in every aspect.
Not quite, the author himself states that other formats are better for lossy photo compression than lossy flif. The advantage of flif ist great 100% lossless mode, no generation loss when lossy, and it doesn't care that much for image content while other formats are tuned for photgraphy and not for example diagrams.

However, for one-time compression of photographic content, bpg (hevc base) is the best atm, but burdened by patents ... webp (vp8-based) has a very competent lossy-lossless mode and will get supercharged once it's upgraded to av1 base.
damian101

Post by damian101 »

I am still waiting for FLIF implementation in XnView MP!
I had to install the classic XnView just to be able to look at FLIF files.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

damian101 wrote:I am still waiting for FLIF implementation in XnView MP!
I had to install the classic XnView just to be able to look at FLIF files.
FLIF is already supported in XnViewMP
Pierre.
socra

Post by socra »

FLIF files will not load for me. I have downloaded the latest x64.zip & extracted. When double clicking a "flif" (not zip) file in MP, a blank gray screen is loaded. When trying "file-open", i get an "error, file can't be loaded" popup window. Is there something special that needs done?
Last edited by socra on Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

socra wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:39 am FLIF files will not load for me. I have downloaded the latest x64.zip & extracted. When double clicking a zip file in MP, a blank gray screen is loaded. When trying "file-open", i get an "error, file can't be loaded" popup window. Is there something special that needs done?
do you have Plugins/libflif.dll?
Pierre.
socra

Post by socra »

Is that part of the latest release? Am I supposed to have to download something else? FLIF is checked in the "filetype" settings screen. How would I verify the plugins & libflif.dll are installed?
socra

Post by socra »

There is a file "libflif.dll" in my ~./XnViewMP/plugins directory. Is that correct?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

socra wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:21 am There is a file "libflif.dll" in my ~./XnViewMP/plugins directory. Is that correct?
yes, you have it
Pierre.