"cannot delete source" when moving active video file

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Elocai

"cannot delete source" when moving active video file

Post by Elocai »

"cannot delete source" when moving active video file with alt + m (Move to...)

it´s just makes a copy but wont delete the active video
helmut

Re: "cannot delete source" when moving active video file

Post by helmut »

Thank you for your bug report, Elocai.

I've tried to reproduce your problem with some success:

XnView: MP 0.84
Platform: Windows 10 - 64bit

1. Open XnView
2. Open a video file
3. Switch back to browser by clicking on "Brower" tab (keep video file open and playing)
4. Select the video file.
5. Press "Alt + M" to move the video file. Specify a valid path and confirm with "Move".
XnView will copy the video file and after copying a "Copy Warning" dialog will appear saying: Cannot remove source.

Are these the steps that you tried and the bug you experience, Elocai? On which platforum (Windows, ...) are you?

I'd say this is not really a bug because XnView identifies the situation and tries to solve it via a message. Please note that moving a video file without opening it (step 2) works fine.
Elocai

Post by Elocai »

Win10 64bit

Yes thats my problem.
Except I would not go back to browser (Step 3) and directly use the move command.

I wouldn´t call this a bug, but more an "unexpected behavior".
If the file was copied to desired place, then it should forcedelete the file, or stop the file so it can be deleted normaly.
A conflict message or user action should not come up, as the action has accomplished it´s task and the file should be deleted automatically.

In my opinion it should behave like this
(stop video?) -> copy -> delete

but it behaves like that

copy -> try to delete -> tell user it cannot delete -> user has to decide action or hitting escape -> maybe delete manually -> delete manually works as intended ignoring active video

on the other hand the delete action acts as it should when deleting an active video, it´ll be deleted without a conflict.
So it seems to me that the move command dont uses the normal delete command, or has some other strange behavior that shouldn´t be there.

I tried to fix it for myself with using macros, but couldnt find a button to stop video.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thanks for your reply and details, elocai. I'd also prefer your suggested solution: Any action within XnView should be handled in a successful way if possible. In this case the XnView should stop playing the video (temporarily) to perform the move action.

I've moved your problem report to "MP - Suggestions" for further discussion and finding a good and feasible solution.
Elocai

Post by Elocai »

ok thx. Dont know if the problem really is that the video file is still open or playing,
but when file reaches it´s end then behavior of moving is normal without interuption.