Labels for toggling visibility of panels etc.

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Labels for toggling visibility of panels etc.

Post by XnTriq »

Unified labels and tooltips of toolbar buttons for showing/hiding UI elelements:

Code: Select all

Command             | Menu                       | Old Toolbar Label *   | New Toolbar Label *
--------------------+----------------------------+-----------------------+-------------------------
cmd_hideTitle       | View → Hide title bar      | Hide title bar        | Show Title Bar
cmd_useToolbar      | View → Toolbar             | Toolbar               | Show Main Toolbar
cmd_useSmallToolbar | View → Filelist toolbar    | Filelist toolbar      | Show Browser Toolbar
cmd_tabsShow        | View → Tab → Show          | Show                  | Show Tabs
cmd_treeShow        | View → Data pane → Show    | Show                  | Show Data Pane
cmd_infoShow        |                            | Show                  | Show Info Pane
cmd_showPreview     | View → Info pane → Preview | Show preview          | Show Preview Pane
cmd_thumbsView      |                            | Thumbnails view only  | Show only Thumbnail Pane
cmd_useStatusbar    | View → Status bar          | Status bar            | Show Status Bar
cmd_showPaneTitle   | View → Show title of panes | Show title of panes   | Show Title of Panes
cmd_showHeader      |                            | Show header           | Show File List Headers
* Notes:
  • Old = Current
  • New = Suggested replacement
  • Label = Tooltip
helmut

Re: Labels for toggling visibility of panels etc.

Post by helmut »

+1 (Unifiying things is always a good thing. I even wonder whether the commands should be renamed; currently there is useXXX and showYYY and hideZZZ)

The first entry is contradictive; menu says "Hide" while toolbar label says "Show". This might result in a problem when displaying the opposite state of the menu and toolbar button.

Command             | Menu                       | Old Toolbar Label *   | New Toolbar Label *
--------------------+----------------------------+-----------------------+-------------------------
cmd_hideTitle       | View → Hide title bar      | Hide title bar        | Show Title Bar
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

On second thought I'm wondering if we could do without “Show” and/or “Hide”.
The checkmarks (on/off) in the View menu and the state of the toolbar buttons (pressed/unpressed) are clear indicators.
helmut

Post by helmut »

XnTriq wrote:On second thought I'm wondering if we could do without “Show” and/or “Hide”.
The checkmarks (on/off) in the View menu and the state of the toolbar buttons (pressed/unpressed) are clear indicators.
+1 (just like in XnView Classic. See related topic 0.84: UI: "Titlebar" instead of "Hide Titlebar")
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

helmut wrote:+1 (just like in XnView Classic. See related topic 0.84: UI: "Titlebar" instead of "Hide Titlebar")
Please feel free to merge the topics, helmut.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

i can't have a different label for menu entry and toolbar tooltips
Pierre.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

xnview wrote:i can't have a different label for menu entry and toolbar tooltips
I've updated my request accordingly:

Command             | Old Menu Entry               | Old Toolbar Label     | New Menu Entry & Toolbar Label
--------------------+------------------------------+-----------------------+-------------------------------
cmd_hideTitle       | View → Hide title bar        | Hide title bar        | Show Title Bar
cmd_useToolbar      | View → Toolbar               | Toolbar               | Show Main Toolbar
cmd_useSmallToolbar | View → Filelist toolbar      | Filelist toolbar      | Show Browser Toolbar
cmd_tabsShow        | View → Tab → Show            | Show                  | Show Tabs
cmd_treeShow        | View → Data pane → Show      | Show                  | Show Data Pane
cmd_infoShow        |                              | Show                  | Show Info Pane
cmd_showPreview     | View → Info pane → Preview   | Show preview          | Show Preview Pane
cmd_thumbsView      |                              | Thumbnails view only  | Show Thumbnail Pane Only
cmd_useStatusbar    | View → Status bar            | Status bar            | Show Status Bar
cmd_showPaneTitle   | View → Show title of panes   | Show title of panes   | Show Title of Panes
cmd_showHeader      | View → Sort by → Show header | Show header           | Show File List Headers
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:i can't have a different label for menu entry and toolbar tooltips
Hmm, that's a bad limitation because tooltips could be longer and explanative while menu items should be short (if possible) for recognizing them quickly.

@Pierre: As one can see in XnTriq's list the name of the commands are all over the place. Could these be changed? Perhaps there could be some versioning in all config files and thus config files could experience updates (just a thought). Also, the versioning could be used to force some updated. Currently, people will never experience improvements unless they delete their complete configuration.

@XnTriq: Thank you for the updated list. I still think that we should get rid or the "Show" prefix. Selecting a (unchecked) "Show tittlebar" menu item to hide the titlebar doesn't feel right to me. And the same applies for the toolbar buttons. Alternative would be "Show/Hide..." but this looks even more ugly and confusing in the "View" menu.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

I didn't know that cmd_showHeader is also available in the menu until you mentioned it.
cmd_infoShow and cmd_thumbsView, however, can only be invoked from the toolbar.