Access to system context menu (mouse right-click menu)

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

arspr

Access to system context menu (mouse right-click menu)

Post by arspr »

When you right-click on any item in either the folder tree or the file list you get XnView own context menu which is fine.

The problem is that it lacks a lot of possible features you get within Windows Explorer. More over if you have quite a lot of integrated utilities (like XnView itself with its "Browse with XnViewMP"). Let's say "Send To", or "7-zip", or "Git GUI here", or "Hash this file", or "Check with your Antivirus", or whatever.

Would it be possible to make XnView optionally call the Windows Explorer context menu instead of its own one?

I can think of two possibilities:
  • Adding the system context menu as a child sub-menu in XnView own one.
  • Using Ctrl+Right-click or Shift+Right-click to call the Windows context menu instead of XnView own one.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: Access to system context menu (mouse right-click menu)

Post by m.Th. »

Adding the system context menu as a child sub-menu in XnView own one.
AFAIK impossible (ok, very, very hard)
Using Ctrl+Right-click or Shift+Right-click to call the Windows context menu instead of XnView own one.
Possible, but not discoverable. How can we let the user know about this?

(also not very cross-platform IMHO)
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
arspr

Post by arspr »

m.Th. wrote:
Using Ctrl+Right-click or Shift+Right-click to call the Windows context menu instead of XnView own one.
I don't know about coding so I don't know how hard this feature could be to implement. I only know ACDSee has it which is pretty handy.

Of course, there's no hint in any place to tell the user that Ctrl+Right click (as example) launches system context menu instead of XnView one... But that's not enough reason to not implement it.

And you could always do a small trick: Put a toggle in Settings which says something like "Ctrl+Right click launches either system context menu or "XnView one"... In this way, by just reading the available options, you'd learn about it. Not because I do actually want to change Right-click to Windows context menu, and therefore Ctrl+Right-click to XnView one, but because I want to teach the user about this feature...
(also not very cross-platform IMHO)
I don't know if either Linux or Mac offer context menus, and, of course, in Macs you don't have either Right-click or Ctrl... But if there were context menus in theses OSes, my suggestion should be read as "launch OS context menu instead of XnView one through a modified way of the process you normally use to call that context menu".

Moreover, when I say Ctrl+Right-Click in Windows you should also read Ctrl+"That key on the right bottom of the keyboard I haven't ever seen anybody actually using".
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

m.Th. wrote:
If it's possible to add ctrl+right click as option, then what about this - another XnView right click menu item with the text:

- Windows context menu (Ctrl+right click)

This would add the option to open Win context menu through the Xnview menu and show the users easier way to open it.
Dreamer
arspr

Post by arspr »

THANKS GUYS!!!

I've just seen it in 0.89!!!

But it's somehow buggy... I'll open a bug report for some issues I've found.