Join Image Automatic sizing

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

nyanprime

Join Image Automatic sizing

Post by nyanprime »

I really like the Join Image feature, but I have a few suggestions after using it for a while:

- It would be really nice if you could make it automatically set the strip size according to the input images. For example, if I am making a vertical strip, it could automatically choose width based on the input image with the lowest width. Right now, I have to go through all the images I am joining and see which one is the narrowest and then manually input its width.

- I am only joining images from the same folder, and I would like the new, joined image in the same folder as well. However, when I save the strip, it brings up the save dialog to the previously used folder. So whenever I am joining images in a new folder I have to copy the file path from the browser and paste it into the save dialog in the joined image strip which is a bit tedious. Maybe add an option to set the default save folder of a joined image strip to to the same folder as the input images? (At least if they all originate from the same folder)

Thank you
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: Join Image Automatic sizing

Post by m.Th. »

- It would be really nice if you could make it automatically set the strip size according to the input images. For example, if I am making a vertical strip, it could automatically choose width based on the input image with the lowest width. Right now, I have to go through all the images I am joining and see which one is the narrowest and then manually input its width.
The most natural way is to automatically choose on the widest width, in the way in which it is working now. - just IMHO of course. :)

OTOH, it would be definitely a nice thing to have a button/checkbox/option to select "lowest width/height" (text to change upon discussion). When pressed/checked it will behave in the way in which you described.
- I am only joining images from the same folder, and I would like the new, joined image in the same folder as well. However, when I save the strip, it brings up the save dialog to the previously used folder. So whenever I am joining images in a new folder I have to copy the file path from the browser and paste it into the save dialog in the joined image strip which is a bit tedious. Maybe add an option to set the default save folder of a joined image strip to to the same folder as the input images? (At least if they all originate from the same folder)
The simplest way to implement this is to add a "Save As..." button right in the Join dialog which would take the path of the 1st file as the base path for the Save As dialog which will be opened. I think that it would be ok for you.
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
nyanprime

Post by nyanprime »

The most natural way is to automatically choose on the widest width, in the way in which it is working now. - just IMHO of course. :)
But if you chose a strip width based on the widest image, you'd have to upscale the smaller images.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

nyanprime wrote:
But if you chose a strip width based on the widest image, you'd have to upscale the smaller images.
Nope. The engine keeps the smallest image at its size - just adds the background color around. The "Alignment" drop-down controls how the smaller image(s) will be placed.
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
nyanprime

Post by nyanprime »

Nope. The engine keeps the smallest image at its size - just adds the background color around. The "Alignment" drop-down controls how the smaller image(s) will be placed.
Okok. I realise I should have prefaced the first post by saying that I generally don't want the background color fill :P