Take out "Supplemental Categories" for IPTC

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Dominius

Take out "Supplemental Categories" for IPTC

Post by Dominius »

IPTC-NAA deprecated them in 2005 and advises caution in using them. Another page I've read (couldn't find it on Google, sorry) says the "SupCats" tag has been merged with the "Keywords" tag and renamed "Subject" (like its XMP counterpart).

Of course, I wouldn't expect it to be removed from both the Windows-native and MP versions of the app, but I think we can get ahead of the game (2005? We're already behind!) by excluding it in future versions of MP. Unless more than a few users think it should be kept since they often use it. I used to until I lost a couple of bash scripts that allowed me to match a set of SupCats with a set of Keywords; now I just use Keywords (which from time to time I must still rewrite as XMP Subject, even in 0.86 i386).

Dominius
Dominius

Re: Take out "Supplemental Categories" for IPTC

Post by Dominius »

I was hoping there would be at least a comment on this thread from Pierre or XnTriq. Considering MP is not quite "as far along" in terms of features and ingrained functions (compared to Classic), it might prove easier to make this "excision" (removal?) in MP first. Not to mention (as a much-older thread of mine infers1) the code is "newer enough" that such a 'fundamental' change can be made, and right away.

I can't know for sure, having not researched it/polled for it (can we do 'polls in this forum?), but I seriously doubt that anyone who USES XnView professionally would mind, or even notice, if Supplemental Categories were removed.

But it might all be for naught (this post and the one that opened the thread), since there's been no response from Pierre or those who contribute to the code, one way or the other.

Dominius
1.My thread describing the XMP tab in Browser mode in Classic looking like old DOS or XML code, compared to the much "tidier" tab in all the MP versions I've used.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Dominius wrote:But it might all be for naught (this post and the one that opened the thread), since there's been no response from Pierre or those who contribute to the code, one way or the other.
Sorry for the delay, Carver/BZT. Pierre's the only developer and has been very busy putting the final touches on v0.87.

I'm not a metadata expert by any means, and I doubt that the following references are of much help:
Dominius wrote:can we do 'polls in this forum?
FAQ: How do I create a poll?
Dominius

Post by Dominius »

Sorry to be stubborn about this. But I'm really keen on seeing this taken out of future versions.

The fact is, I keep a fixed list of Keywords for most of the pictures I annotate, and I used to have a SED script and a bash script or two to go with it, derived from a slightly (in most instances) different list of supplemental categories. I use XnView MP often enough that merely seeing this deprecated feature (in IPTC terms) reminds me of those scripts (I still have the SED), and if this annotation is indeed (as all my Google-ing tells me it is) deprecated I shouldn't have to bother writing a script to cross-match them -- especially when XnView is one of the few relevant apps anywhere (Windows, macOS or Linux) which treats IPTC Supplemental Categories as a "going thing." Certainly not Nautilus file browser and its clone Nemo.

Dominius
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

so you think that it's better to remove them from IPTC dialog?
Pierre.