0.65 - W8/x64: TWAIN Source / TWAIN scan

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

StephanP

0.65 - W8/x64: TWAIN Source / TWAIN scan

Post by StephanP »

I have a Windows 8 - 64-bit desktop-PC with a Canon Pixma MG5250 Multifunction printer/scanner that is connected via the (WiFi) network.

On this W8/64-bit PC, nothing happens when I click the menu entry "Select TWAIN source".
The menu is not greyed out, so must assume that XnViewMP somehow is aware of the TWAIN Scanner's availabity. Yet, nothing happens when I click it.

On my W8/32-bit notebook , Select TWAIN source and TWAIN scan manage to find the scanner, as well as the Canon ScanGear software, and (long-distance) scanning works like a charm.

Stephan
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.65 - W8/x64: TWAIN Source / TWAIN scan

Post by xnview »

I need to check how to use twain driver on 64bits...
Pierre.
andimoor

Post by andimoor »

I have the same Problem under Win7 x64!!!
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Googling 'Windows 64 TWAIN' there is clearly a widespread problem using scanners over a TWAIN interface in 64-bit versions of Windows.

The following text from this link may possibly shed some light on the issue:

http://altoimaging.typepad.com/alto-ima ... -meet.html
To our knowledge (based on examining a fairly large number of popular scanners), there are no 64-Bit TWAIN drivers available. They are all running in 32-Bit compatibility mode on 64-Bit PCs. This means that the 32-Bit versions of the apps can use the 32-Bit TWAIN drivers and access a scanner as it would in the 32-Bit OS. But, the 64-Bit versions of the apps cannot access the 32-Bit drivers.

Some scanner suppliers are apparently advertising drivers as 32/64-Bit compatible. This could mean that they are packaging both versions in the driver install file. But, please be aware that in most cases we have seen, it only means that the drivers will work in both 32-Bit and 64-Bit versions of Windows. As discussed above, you can use the 32-Bit drivers in 64-Bit Windows, but only with 32-Bit applications.
I'm not sure whether the following freeware software might be of any help in overcoming this issue:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/twain-dsm/files/

I read a while back something about scanner manufacturers and Microsoft agreeing not to support TWAIN 64 for some reason, but the present situation seems bizare...
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

cday wrote:I'm not sure whether the following freeware software might be of any help in overcoming this issue:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/twain-dsm/files/
:shock: Great find, cday!
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Peter J. ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=119257#p119257][v2.22] Select Twain Source[/url]) wrote:SOLVED!
I had exactly the same problem with a Canon LiDE 110 scanner and latest drivers from Canon (ScanGear 17.0.4).
On a brand new Windows 8.1, it worked for several days. Then suddenly it stopped working, only the crappy WIA driver was available as twain source.
I was searching on google for hours and days, but I couldn't find any answers on this problem.
At first, I blamed it on the scanner drivers, second I blamed the USB drivers, third I blamed the XnView (tried older versions with no luck). But no one was to blame. Except for WINDOWS 8.1 itself!!
I was real close into changing back to a windows 7 system installation, when I found out what the problem was:
The solution was simple; I just had to run the latest version of XnView as an ADMINISTRATOR (right click xnview icon and choose Run as administrator) and the Canon ScanGear driver showed up!