Change Timestamp - Update values in the dialog after a Write

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

B.Douille

Change Timestamp - Update values in the dialog after a Write

Post by B.Douille »

When multiple files are selected there is a risk of erroneous changes due to pressing the "Write" or "Write All" buttons multiple time.

Proposed improvement: After having pressed either Write buttons:
1) The values should be updated in the dialog, showing the date/time change was applied
2) The button "Cancel" should be renamed "Done", giving an obvious confirmation

The issue: Just after pressing "Write" or "Write All" the result is not visible to the user. Further clicks on the buttons applies the offset again and again, driving to erroneous changes without notice.

Demo:
1) Select 3 files to change timestamp.
2) Select whatever EXIF date or file date or field as source and the same field as destination
3) Select an offset of +10 days for example.
4) Press "Write" (or "Write all"). The values shown are not changed :?
5) Go to next picture and back, the values shown are now the actuals.
6) Press "Write" (or "Write all") twice or more and go next picture and back and see the dates was incremented by 20 or more days :x
7) Pressing the "Cancel" button do not revert to the original values :evil: (that's why I suggest to change the button label to "Done" once a write occurred).

Note: For a single file the dialog closes immediately so there are no such risk.
Daniel, promoting XnView since 2004, moved to MP (exclusively) years ago (Platform Windows and Linux Ubuntu)
oops66
XnThusiast

Re: Change Timestamp - Update values in the dialog after a W

Post by oops66 »

Hello,
For me, and for massive changes (a very dangerous operation), it's better and safer to have the functionality into the batch process tool instead into a menu by pressing "apply to all" or a "Write" or a "Write All" buttons ... ;-)
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
CameronD

Post by CameronD »

oops66 wrote:Hello,
For me, and for massive changes (a very dangerous operation), it's better and safer to have the functionality into the batch process tool instead into a menu by pressing "apply to all" or a "Write" or a "Write All" buttons ... ;-)
Operations on timestamps, IPTC are "batch process" tools already - I suppose you mean the "batch conversion" tool.

Adding timestamp operations to batch conversion is a good suggestion, but I would not like to see the existing methods removed.

The reason is that these operations are applied to the existing files, and that is how some of us want to work. Using the batch conversion tool to simply correct a time error on the camera would be more complicated than it needs to be, which could increase the chances of other mistakes being made.

The request about timestamps could also apply to "edit IPTC", because the program does not acknowledge when "write all" changes have been written - this is tied in with this bug report.
The problem of multiple incremental changes, does not seem to occur in the "edit IPTC" window, because the situations where appending can happen (e.g. keywords) have checks to remove duplicates.
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

Operations on timestamps, IPTC are "batch process" tools already - I suppose you mean the "batch conversion" tool.... The request about timestamps could also apply to "edit IPTC" ...
... Right, usually and fundamentally for both (for all massive changes) ;-)
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See Issue 337 for current status and details.
Pierre.