0.85b2: Open from file behaviour is related to source folder

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

arspr

0.85b2: Open from file behaviour is related to source folder

Post by arspr »

XnView: MP 0.85 beta 2 - 64 bit

If I double click on a image (open it) located on Desktop or Documents or drive C:, XnView opens the Browser instead of Fullscreen. BUT this doesn't happen in other locations (example Images, or D: or Downloads).

Effect: Weird and inconsistent behaviour of XnView

To reproduce:
1. Set XnView in "General Section > General Tab > Mode when starting with a file" to "Browser - Fullscreen"
2. Open any image from Desktop (by double click, simple click + Enter, or just from Windows Explorer). You get the Browser view.
3. Copy that image to other location and open it from Windows Explorer. You get the expected Fullscreen view.

Actual behaviour (bug): Browser is sometimes used instead of Fullscreen depending on the source location of the image. (At least in C:\, Desktop, Documents)

Expected behaviour: Fullscreen should be always used.

A little extra info in case it affects the current behaviour: I don't have Desktop, Images, Documents, etc. in their default location, C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop and successive, but in alternate locations because my C: drive is a "small" SSD so I've moved as much data as possible to my "real storage" D: which is a common HDD. I did this -quite long ago- through the option Windows gives you when selecting Properties of the "Desktop", "Images", etc. folders; no nasty hacks.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.85b2: Open from file behaviour is related to source fo

Post by xnview »

sorry but i can't reproduce
Pierre.
arspr

Post by arspr »

Strange. I can ALWAYS trigger it.

In case it matters. I've installed 0.84 from installer. I noticed play controls in videos didn't work unless Autoplay was selected. Therefore I downloaded 0.85b2, (which works fine with videos), from this forum and I unzipped it OVER 0.84. I mean I unzipped it against C:\Program Windows\XnViewMP.
arspr

Post by arspr »

Just tested against 0.85b3 and it's the same...

When 0.85 appears I'll uninstall and then I'll do a fully fresh reinstall...

-------
Just tested against 0.85b4 and it's the same...
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

arspr wrote:Just tested against 0.85b3 and it's the same...

When 0.85 appears I'll uninstall and then I'll do a fully fresh reinstall...

-------
Just tested against 0.85b4 and it's the same...

Since you ALWAYS trigger it it is much better to ask Pierre to build you a customized version to show via a Message Box or a log which is the actual full path which XnView tries to open and start to debug from there.
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
arspr

Post by arspr »

Sure, I offer my self to test whichever special build anybody sends me.

(But I'm not going to bother anyone with PMs. I'm not so special. I just make my offer publicly. If Pierre wants me to test something, fine. If he doesn't or if he doesn't have time or he doesn't consider it adequate or whaterver, it's also fine).
helmut

Post by helmut »

arspr wrote:Sure, I offer my self to test whichever special build anybody sends me.
Thank you for this offer.
arspr wrote:(But I'm not going to bother anyone with PMs. I'm not so special. I just make my offer publicly. If Pierre wants me to test something, fine. If he doesn't or if he doesn't have time or he doesn't consider it adequate or whaterver, it's also fine).
Correct attitude, arspr.
HanVroon

Post by HanVroon »

Hello all,

I came across this bug report and thought it would be interesting to try and reproduce.
Because I work with a test VM that I can easily reset, I can mess with Windows settings without destroying my own PC. I only tested with redirecting the Desktop location.
Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce it, in my case the file opens fullscreen.
I just thought it might help to mention here that with default XnViewMP settings as downloaded the program is able to behave as expected, even with redirected default Windows folders. Maybe it helps trying to further investigate, without annoying arspr...

Here is what I've done:
1- Added a second disk to my VM.
2- Right clicked on C:\Users\HVroon\Desktop, on the Location tab moved the folder to D:\Profile\Desktop. I suppose that's similar what you have done arspr.
3- Restarted Windows, just in case.
4- Tested the new Desktop location by right-click on the desktop, create text file, it appeared in D:\Profile\Desktop.
5- Checked my profile folder, the Desktop subfolder was gone, so completely moved to D:\Profile\Desktop.
6- Used a fresh 0.85 beta 4 download, removed settings from the previous tests, started XnViewMP, changed the language to English in the Startup wizard (it ran because there were no settings), changed nothing else.
7- Ran the Set file associations tool (usually not run yet in my VM) to let XnViewMP start when selecting a jpg.
8- Checked Settings, General, General tab, Startup settings: Mode when starting with a file = Fullscreen-Browser.
9- Closed XnViewMP.
10- Copied a jpg file to the desktop, the file appeared in D:\Profile\Desktop.
11- Double-clicked on the desktop jpg.
12- XnViewMP opens in Fullscreen showing the selected file.
13- Pressed Esc, the Fullscreen closes and the Browser shows with focus on the D:\Profile\Desktop folder.

Could it depend on how the new locations are set? Like I did by right clicking the deafult locations and moving the location? I know that it can also be don by registry hacks.

I hope this helps, though it's not rather a confirmation of the bug...
Maybe a debug version showing paths might help indeed.
arspr

Post by arspr »

HanVroon wrote:Hello all,

2- Right clicked on C:\Users\HVroon\Desktop, on the Location tab moved the folder to D:\Profile\Desktop. I suppose that's similar what you have done arspr.
First of all, thanks for testing.

Yes. That's the procedure I did AGES ago... As I already said, no registry hacks.

Nevertheless, a bit more info. When images are loaded into Browser, the exact behaviour is:
  • It seems as if Fullscreen is actually launched. I say this because I've set grey background for Fullscreen and I briefly see a grey screen.
  • But Browser immediately takes over...
(Also remember is not only Desktop. Some other locations are affected. As example C:\ or D:\xxx\Documents which is the current folder for official "Documents" one).

(Strange...)
HanVroon

Post by HanVroon »

Sorry, missed "no nasty hacks"...
I used only Desktop redirection because that's an easy one to test.
"Fullscreen is actually launced"... As I switched my setting to Fullscreen-Browser, I noticed that XnViewMP shows the first image of the folder a split second before showing the actually double-clicked file. Seeems related. I don't use Fullscreen as default, so I don't know if that bug has been there long. I have remember to report that one.

What happens if you switch to Fullscreen-Viewer? In my case, I don't see the first image of the folder a split second anymore, just the double-clicked file.
I cannot think of any combination of settings that might cause this bug, and maybe I cannot help any further.
But if you are willing to upload your settings files, I could have a last try working with those and see if I get the same result.
To be sure, all the files would be nice, so: xnview.ini, bookmark.ini, default.bar, default.keys and layout1.dat (or another layout you mostly use (from A through E, so 1 to 5).
XnViewMP can behave weird just with very particular combinations of settings.
Do you have manual sort in your folders (dragging thumbs around in the Browser) so that there are hidden .XnViewSort files in your folders?
arspr

Post by arspr »

HanVroon wrote: What happens if you switch to Fullscreen-Viewer?
GOOD GUESS!!! At least to help tracking it down. The bug doesn't happen if I start in Fullscreen-Viewer. So whatever is different between Fullscreen-Viewer and Fullscreen-Browser is triggering the issue in my system.
But if you are willing to upload your settings files, I could have a last try working with those and see if I get the same result.
To be sure, all the files would be nice, so: xnview.ini, bookmark.ini, default.bar, default.keys and layout1.dat (or another layout you mostly use (from A through E, so 1 to 5).
Sure, I've zipped the entire contents of Roaming\XnViewMP\ but XnView.db and Thumbs.db. (I've only edited xnview.ini to delete the history of files as it contained the names of my children in some files, but I've tested everything seems the same with this new file).
Do you have manual sort in your folders (dragging thumbs around in the Browser) so that there are hidden .XnViewSort files in your folders?
Nope. I hate that feature as explained here.
Attachments
xnview Settings.zip
(7.46 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
HanVroon

Post by HanVroon »

Thanks for the zip. If you wish you may edit your post and delete the attachment.
I realize that history can be part of the xnview.ini.
When I have time the coming days, I will investigate, without any promise though...
So you can disable the bug by choosing Fulscreen-Viewer, that's good I think, at least it looks like a XnViewMP thing, not your Windows installation and config.
HanVroon

Post by HanVroon »

I tested with your settings files.
Unfortunately the files all open fullscreen so far.
I even created your D:\Users structure and moved Desktop, My Documents and Pictures to that location.
Filled all with some photos (Canon pictures with default filenames, IMG_1234.JPG).
Opened them by double-click through Windows Explorer, opened the desktop files by double-clicking on them on the desktop.
Also navigated to the folders via Libraries and opened them.
Set UAC to default, also doesn't matter.
I tried to do the same as you did, downloaded the 0.84 installer and installed, then started the program, it won't start because icuin57.dll is missing.
I never used the installer, never heared of icuin57.dll :?
I was hoping to get your situation and could then try to compare the ini's and see if I could think of a setting that would switch the bug on/off, but I can't sofar.
arspr

Post by arspr »

Thanks for all your efforts...

I don't know. Maybe Pierre can locate possible triggers with the clue about Fullscreen - Browser vs. Fullscreen - Viewer.

Nevertheless when 0.85 official is launched I'll try completely uninstalling everything and reinstalling again.
HanVroon

Post by HanVroon »

One last thing.
Because I couldn't reproduce your installation (install 0.84, then copy 0.85 beta to it) because of the weird missing dll error, I have my doubt about the installer.
But that is just a guess, as said, I always download the zip versions. I don't want to spend time on that dll.

Assuming you have Windows 7 x64 and XnViewMP is located in C:\Program Files\XnViewMP, rename the XnViewMP folder to XnViewMP.old.
Then download the 0.85 beta 4 zip, unpack it, and rename the unpacked XnViewMP-win-x64-beta4 folder to XnViewMP.
Then copy or move that unpacked folder to C:\Program Files. In such way the 0.85 beta 4 version replaced your current installation and your file associations point to the new exe.
If you tried that out, you can always delete the new XnViewMP folder and rename the XnViewMP.old folder back to XnViewMP and you have it all back to what it was.