0.86: Selection rectangle on zoomed image

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

deus-ex

0.86: Selection rectangle on zoomed image

Post by deus-ex »

Note that the following issue appears only on images zoomed in:

After zooming into an image, drawing an rectangle selection within the visible zoomed area isn't always working, it appears to not accept every mouse pointer position. For example most of my attempts trying to start an selection from the bottom left corner isn't working. The area from the bottom left corner to the bottom right corner and upwards on the right side appears to be not working most of the time.

Also when zooming into an image with the top left corner out of screen, drawing an selection rectangle from left to the right screen border and/or the bottom screen border will move the zoomed image, thus making a precise selection impossible.

I can reproduce the described issues with v0.85, while v0.84 works without flaws for me.
helmut

Re: 0.86: Selection rectangle on zoomed image

Post by helmut »

Thank you for reporting these problems, deus-ex.

I've tried to reproduce the first problem but failed: Selecting an area worked and never failed.

What's the size of your images? What zoom factor (percentage) do you use? Could you perhaps make a screen video of the problem you experience?
deus-ex wrote:...Also when zooming into an image with the top left corner out of screen, drawing an selection rectangle from left to the right screen border and/or the bottom screen border will move the zoomed image, thus making a precise selection impossible. ...
This sounds much like a known problem 0.84: Image "jumps" when selecting requires scrolling. Does that bug report describe your second problem?
deus-ex

Post by deus-ex »

Hi Helmut,

thank you for picking up my report.

The reported issues only appear when zoomed into an image, not for images fitted to screen or zoomed out where you can see the image boundaries. Zoom factor or image size does not make any difference to the problem. Like I wrote in my previous post v0.84 is NOT affected by this.

I recorded 4 x example videos. 2 x videos with v0.84 (no issues), 2 x videos with v0.86 illustrating the issues:
  • For the recordings I used vanilla installations of XnViewMP (ZIP-archive distributions) without any further configuration to not alter the result

• The image corners are marked with red triangles to better distinguish image movement during the rectangle selection

• In the first video for each XnViewMP version the image is fitted to screen, zoom in by one step, rectangle selection down to screen bottom. Again refit to screen, zoom in by 1 step, rectangle selection to the right screen border, then further down to bottom.

• In the second video for each XnViewMP version the image is fitted to screen, zoom in by on step, then attempting to start a rectangle selection from the bottom left corner. For v0.84 this works 100% of the time, for v0.86 it needs several attempts until the selection rectangle appears.
Download videos (you may need to scroll down the download page): http://ge.tt/6kF5W1k2
helmut

Post by helmut »

Hello deus-ex!

Thank you for your additional information and your four screen recordings with and w/o the problem.

I've tried quite a bit using XnView 0.86 and a 4000x2000 pixel image. I could reproduce the problem reported in 0.84: Image "jumps" when selecting requires scrolling but no other problem.
deus-ex wrote:...
  • For the recordings I used vanilla installations of XnViewMP (ZIP-archive distributions) without any further configuration to not alter the result.
Typically, settings are stored in a user directory and are not reset when installing a new version. Coud you please try and reset XnView's configuration (see topic MP: How to reset program configuration?

- Does your problem occur in view mode or in fullscreen mode of XnView? (Your screen video shows the image, only, so it looks as if you use fullscreen mode but for the screen recording you might have chosen the image area, only.)

- How do you switch to fullscreen mode: From browser mode directly to fullscreen or from browser to viewer and then to fullscreen? (I'm not 100% sure but from what I know XnView MP has two type of fullscreen which are supposed to be similar but are technically different).

Best regards,

Helmut

@Pierre: Are there still two fullscreen modes which are technically different or is it just one fullscreen mode in XnView MP?
deus-ex

Post by deus-ex »

helmut wrote:I've tried quite a bit using XnView 0.86 and a 4000x2000 pixel image. I could reproduce the problem reported in 0.84: Image "jumps" when selecting requires scrolling but no other problem.
Helmut, the issue I'm trying to report is that the image is not supposed to scroll/move at all during a rectangle selection in a zoomed image. While I'm drawing a selection box with the mouse in a zoomed image, the screen borders ought to be the very limit where I can go with the mouse pointer during the selection. At least to me that is the behavior I know from previous releases of XnVieMP up to 0.84 and XnView Classic.
helmut wrote:Typically, settings are stored in a user directory and are not reset when installing a new version. Coud you please try and reset XnView's configuration?
Yes, I do now that. For the tests I extracted one XnViewMP ZIP-distribution at a time into the folder Program Files\XnViewMP\, run it, then deleted it along with its local settings, then extracted the other archive into Program Files\XnViewMP\. Upon first start of 0.84/0.85/0.86 the user is prompted whether to store the settings in the System or Program folder or in the registry. I choose Program folder each time, plus I checked my user folder and registry for any remaining settings of any previous install.
helmut wrote:- Does your problem occur in view mode or in fullscreen mode of XnView? (Your screen video shows the image, only, so it looks as if you use fullscreen mode but for the screen recording you might have chosen the image area, only.)
The videos were taken all in fullscreen mode. For 0.86 the issues do appear both in fullscreen and in view mode. For 0.84 the issues do NOT appear in fullscreen mode, but they do in view mode which I only learned of just now because I use fullscreen mode almost exclusively.
helmut wrote:- How do you switch to fullscreen mode: From browser mode directly to fullscreen or from browser to viewer and then to fullscreen? (I'm not 100% sure but from what I know XnView MP has two type of fullscreen which are supposed to be similar but are technically different).
Usually I start by loading an image via filemanager, XnView is set to start in Fullscreen > View > Browser mode. From the Browser > Fullscreen > View mode.

For the test videos I started with a vanilla XnViewMP (no personal settings applied), only answered the first start dialog (store files/settings in program folder), XnViewMP starts up into browser mode, browse to the test image, load it into View mode, go into fullscreen mode, start video recording. As my way of loading the image for the test video recording is quite different to my usual routine, I don't think that it makes any difference whether you start in fullscreen, viewer or browser mode. Also I had to redo the process for the video recordings a couple times since I wanted to make the videos as small and efficient as possible to save anyone bandwith. Each time the issues, that I wanted to record, appeared and behaved the same.

Some info on my system that might be useful: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Creators Edition, 4K Monitor at 3840x2160 native resolution.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you for your detailed answer and clarification, deus-ex. On my system there is no scrolling at all in Fullscreen mode. Only in viewer (view mode) there is scrolling and selection is screwed up (the problem that I linked above - but as you wrote that bug report doesn't describe your problem).

ATM I have no clue how to reproduce this - perhaps someone else can try. My guess is that this has something to do with screen resolution - but this is just a guess.
helmut

Post by helmut »

deus-ex wrote:
helmut wrote:I've tried quite a bit using XnView 0.86 and a 4000x2000 pixel image. I could reproduce the problem reported in 0.84: Image "jumps" when selecting requires scrolling but no other problem.
Helmut, the issue I'm trying to report is that the image is not supposed to scroll/move at all during a rectangle selection in a zoomed image. While I'm drawing a selection box with the mouse in a zoomed image, the screen borders ought to be the very limit where I can go with the mouse pointer during the selection. At least to me that is the behavior I know from previous releases of XnVieMP up to 0.84 and XnView Classic. ...
deus-ex, am I right in saying that your bug report and my bug report 0.84: Image "jumps" when selecting requires scrolling are the same except for the expected behaviour? My expected behaviour is that the image is scrolled and selection enhances correctly. Your expected behaviour is that the image isn't scrolled at all and selection is limited to the area of the image currently visible. Right?
deus-ex

Post by deus-ex »

No, they are not the same, but similar. I give you a recap.

XNView Classic:
Regardless of using View mode or fullscreen, regardless of the scroll bars being hidden or visible, drawing a selection with the mouse in a zoomed image is always limited to the screen borders, as should be. The image still can be moved using the hand tool or the cursor keys.

XNViewMP 0.84:
  • View mode, scroll bars hidden: Drawing a selection in a zoomed image with the mouse will move the image upon hitting the top or bottom screen border, should not happen. Hitting the left or right screen border does not move the image, as should be. In this mode no UI elements (like menu bar, scrollbar) are shown on the left and right screen border.
  • View mode, scroll bars visible: Drawing a selection in a zoomed image with the mouse will move the image upon hitting the top, bottom or right screen border, should not happen. Hitting the left screen border does not move the image, as should be. In this mode no UI elements are shown on the left screen border.
  • Fullscreen mode, scroll bars hidden: Drawing a selection in a zoomed image with the mouse is limited to the screen borders, as should be. In this mode no UI elements are shown on all screen borders.
  • Fullscreen mode, scroll bars visible: Drawing a selection in a zoomed image with the mouse will move the image upon hitting the bottom or right screen border, should not happen. Hitting the top or left border does not move the image, as should be. In this mode no UI elements are shown on the top and left screen border.

XNViewMP 0.85/0.86:
  • View mode, scroll bars hidden: Drawing a selection in a zoomed image with the mouse will move the image upon hitting the top, bottom or right screen border, should not happen. Hitting the left border does not move the image, as should be. In this mode no UI elements are shown on the left and right screen border.
  • View mode, scroll bars visible: Drawing a selection in a zoomed image with the mouse will move the image upon hitting the top, bottom or right screen border, should not happen. Hitting the left screen border does not move the image, as should be. In this mode no UI elements are shown on the left screen border.
  • Fullscreen mode, scroll bars hidden: Drawing a selection in a zoomed image with the mouse will move the image upon hitting the bottom or right screen border, should not happen. Hitting the top or left screen border does not move the image, as should be. In this mode no UI elements are shown on the screen borders.
  • Fullscreen mode, scroll bars visible: Drawing a selection in a zoomed image with the mouse will move the image upon hitting the bottom or right screen border, should not happen. Hitting the top or left border does not move the image, as should be. In this mode no UI elements are shown on the left screen border.
Additionally, trying to start a rectangle selection from the bottom screen border and the lower half of the right screen border is not always detected, often several attempts are required. This does not occur with XNViewMP v0.84 and XNView Classic.