[SOLVED] 0.86 Ubuntu 32-bit - Cannot set Camera RAW to USE - FULL SIZE instead of THUMBNAIL

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

I2k4

[SOLVED] 0.86 Ubuntu 32-bit - Cannot set Camera RAW to USE - FULL SIZE instead of THUMBNAIL

Post by I2k4 »

I've been successfully using XnViewMP 0.85 on Linux Mint 18 (Ubuntu 16.04) to open *.DNG image files in "FULL" rather than thumbnail - this is set in Tools > Preferences > Interface > Formats > Camera RAW > Use "FULL". Now after installing 0.86 when I change the default "THUMBNAIL" setting to "FULL SIZE" and close the Preferences dialog, the setting reverts to THUMBNAIL. No matter how often it is reset to FULL SIZE it changes itself back to THUMBNAIL.

This has happened on ).86 in separate Mint 18.2 Cinnamon and XFCE desktop environments and has never happened before in previous versions of XnViewMP on Linux or Windows - I am currently running version 0.85 an a third machine and it works fine. I'm not aware of any other setting to open *.DNG as full-sized. I'm assuming this is a new bug, and would appreciate a fix, since I'm having to use different software to open my *.DNG files.
Last edited by I2k4 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.86 Ubuntu 32-bit - Cannot set Camera RAW to USE - FULL SIZE instead of THUMBNAIL

Post by xnview »

you open settings, change it, and close dialog, reopen it, and the setting is no more Thumbnail?
Pierre.
I2k4

Re: 0.86 Ubuntu 32-bit - Cannot set Camera RAW to USE - FULL SIZE instead of THUMBNAIL

Post by I2k4 »

Thanks for quick response. Yes. I just tested both 0.86 and 0.85 again to be sure.

0.86 is installed on Mint 18.2/Ubuntu 16.04 on two desktop environments - Cinnamon and XFCE. When I set Use to Full SIze it seems to stay that way until the dialog box is closed. But then it does not open RAW/DNG in Full Size. When I reopen the Setting dialog the Use is changed back to Embedded, and I cannot edit a full sized JPEG conversion. Restarting XnViewMP doesn't help.

0.85 is installed on Mint 18.1/Ubuntu 16.04 - Cinnamon. It works correctly when set and the setting remains Full Size. I've used earlier versions on Windows and Mint and never had this problem. Full size RAW/DNG appears and I can edit the JPEG from it.

Thanks for looking into it.
mudo_j

Post by mudo_j »

I can confirm this, the "Full size" (or "Half size") setting doesn't "stick", it reverts to "Embedded preview". The program can only open the preview jpeg, never the actual raw file (of any format).

Affected versions:

XnView MP Linux 0.85 64bits (Apr 4 2017) on Ubuntu Studio 17.04 (from ppa:dhor/myway)
XnView MP Linux 0.86 64bits (Apr 25 2017) on Ubuntu Studio 16.10 (from deb) (VM)
XnView MP Windows 0.86 64bits (Apr 25 2017) (portable)
XnView MP Windows 0.87 beta 1 64bits (Jul 8 2017)

EDIT:
But there is another setting in View > View > Camera RAW, use; if this is set to "Full size", also the first setting in Formats > Read > Camera RAW sticks, and the program does open the raw file. With a false warning "This picture will be converted ..."
I2k4

[SOLVED] Re: 0.86 Ubuntu 32-bit - Cannot set Camera RAW to USE - FULL SIZE instead of THUMBNAIL

Post by I2k4 »

mudo_j wrote: EDIT:
But there is another setting in View > View > Camera RAW, use; if this is set to "Full size", also the first setting in Formats > Read > Camera RAW sticks, and the program does open the raw file. With a false warning "This picture will be converted ..."
You're right. I recall the warning box about jpeg conversion - which can be disabled - from previous versions so must have used that setting. It's a bit confusing because there is a main menu "View" (with "View as" choices) separate from the Tools > Settings dialog box that has these two different setting fields for Camera RAW. The developer might want to revisit that for clarity.

But your solution does solve it in version 0.86 for me. Thanks, best regards.