0.86 (and 0.87 beta2): Geohack action disabled and GPS indicator missing

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

lalaka

0.86 (and 0.87 beta2): Geohack action disabled and GPS indicator missing

Post by lalaka »

XnView MP 0.86 (also tested 0.87 beta 2) 64 bit
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

For most of my jpeg images with GPS coordinates, the action to show the position in GeoHack isn't enabled and the GPS indicator in the image browser is missing - even though the GPS data is shown in EXIF tab, the GPS tab shows the correct location on the map and the dialog for editing GPS data shows correct values.

The attached image shows the effect - it is not the original (too big to attach here) but resized in XnView itself.

The following operations enable the missing features temporarily, but only until XnView is restarted (!):
- copy/paste image in image browser
- save under new name without further modification in another tool (IrfanView in this case)

Only a resize and save under new name in another tool actually fixes the problem for good.

Resize image and save under new name in XnView sometimes changes nothing, sometimes it works afterwards.

Could be related to Issue 1264, therefore I tested with 0.87 beta 2, but I see the same behaviour there.
Attachments
P034_x.jpg
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.86 (and 0.87 beta2): Geohack action disabled and GPS indicator missing

Post by xnview »

even if you use 'rebuild thumbnails'? The bug was fixed in beta 2
Pierre.
lalaka

Post by lalaka »

Ok, "rebuild thumbnail" sort of fixes the issue, but only by actually changing the file itself.

Therefore I'd consider this a workaround rather than a fix. I'd rather not need to rebuild thumbnails in thousands of images, which is time-consuming in itself and would require me to update any backup as well, again a time-consuming task.

It seems suspicious to me that XnView is quite capable to read and use the GPS information correctly e.g. if I make a copy of the file in the same directory while XnView is running and the copy is added to the image browser automatically. I'd suspect there's some subtle difference between file handling/loading while reading the folder for the first time on one hand and while updating it due to a change notification on the other hand.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

lalaka wrote:Ok, "rebuild thumbnail" sort of fixes the issue, but only by actually changing the file itself.

Therefore I'd consider this a workaround rather than a fix. I'd rather not need to rebuild thumbnails in thousands of images, which is time-consuming in itself and would require me to update any backup as well, again a time-consuming task.

It seems suspicious to me that XnView is quite capable to read and use the GPS information correctly e.g. if I make a copy of the file in the same directory while XnView is running and the copy is added to the image browser automatically. I'd suspect there's some subtle difference between file handling/loading while reading the folder for the first time on one hand and while updating it due to a change notification on the other hand.
you need to update the catalog, 0.86 doesn't save GPS info into catalog...
Pierre.
lalaka

Post by lalaka »

you need to update the catalog, 0.86 doesn't save GPS info into catalog...
Oh, ok!
Tested: removed one folder with affected images from the catalog, then used beta 2 and opened the same folder - all GPS info available, everything fine in beta 2 :D
So for folders where I have other info (rating etc.) in the catalog, I instead use "rebuild thumbnails" from the catalog options page, correct?

Thanks for the explanation!! (and for a great tool anyway!)

Btw: is it possible to somehow copy (rather than move) catalog info to another folder (e.g. backup folder on NAS)?