Renaming

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView MP or XnConvert MP which have been resolved.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

soulky

Renaming

Post by soulky »

It is too easy to rename a file without purpose. In Windows explorer you need to click into the fileNAME to trigger the renaming option. In xnviewmp it is enough to click a selected file the file thumbnail to trigger the renaming.
I would prefer the same behaviour as Windows Explorer as it is too easy to click an already selected file and this easily leads to rename a file without purpose. (Happened to me already).
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Renaming

Post by xnview »

Hum no. You need to select it, and click again to start renaming
Pierre.
soulky

Post by soulky »

xnview wrote:Hum no. You need to select it, and click again to start renaming
This is why I wrote to click a selected file.
Ok I be more specific:
In Windows Explorer: To rename a file I need to select the file and then click into the filename to rename it.
In xnviewmp browser: To rename a file I need to select a file and then simply click the file again (thumbnail, symbol, name does not matter) to rename it.

This is too easy. It happens to easily that you click a file already selected without the purpose to rename it. It would be more useful to make this like the standard Windows Explorer behaviour that only clicking into the filename triggers renaming.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

you are in thumbnail view mode?
Pierre.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Related discussions:
soulky

Post by soulky »

I just want to stress, that currently the behaviour of XnviewMP ist not like Windows Explorer behaviour:
As I have said, in Windows Explorer you need to click into the FILENAME of a file to get into renamin mode.
If you click the icon, nothing happens. If you click the thumbnail, nothing happens.
With XnviewMP no matter if you click the thumbnail or the filename you always end in renaming mode.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

So if I understand correctly you want only the filename to be clickable for rename and Not the file's icon/thumbnail correct?

I am use 'Details' view in the MP Browser and when I slow click on the file icon I get the rename - is this what you mean should not happen?

btw, slow click rename feature is in Windows Explorer too so must stay for XnViewMP
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
soulky

Post by soulky »

budz45 wrote:So if I understand correctly you want only the filename to be clickable for rename and Not the file's icon/thumbnail correct?
This is correct. This is the Windows Explorer behaviour. At least with XP.
budz45 wrote:I am use 'Details' view in the MP Browser and when I slow click on the file icon I get the rename - is this what you mean should not happen?
Correctly. Clicking the icon/thumbnail should not lead to renamo mode. Only clicking the file name should.[/quote]
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Right, ok - This makes sense. :) So only slow click rename must work for the filename text only and nothing else.

Ok, I agree Pierre should rectify this issue by next beta release.
Vapavite123

Post by Vapavite123 »

Bonjour,

Peut être !

Sauf que "j'adore" ce comportement qui ne m'a jamais dérouté et que le Windows devrait adopter dans son affichage vignette :!:

Bonne année à vous tous

Hello,

Can be!

Except that "I love" this behavior has never confused and that Windows should adopt in its thumbnail display :!:

Happy New Year to you all
soulky

Post by soulky »

Vapavite123 wrote:Hello,

Can be!

Except that "I love" this behavior has never confused and that Windows should adopt in its thumbnail display :!:

Happy New Year to you all
Maybe we can have this optionally. It happens to me quite frequently. For example: If you select a file and right click it the context menu opens. The most efficient way to close it again is to make a left click with the mouse out of the area of the context menu. So you simply make a left click and because the mouse pointer is on top of the file, it triggers renaming.
Other example: Xnviewmp is sometimes slow and process tasks like preloading thumbnails. So it happens that a double click gets delayed or I want to simply select a file and due to background processes it does not execute it at once. So I select it again and end up in renaming mode.
Other example: Before processing a file, like deletion, etc. I make sure the right file is selected. So I click it again only to make sure it is the file I want to process. And I end up in renaming mode again.
I really think it is better to have the thumbnails and icon for selection only and the file name for selection and renaming.
Vapavite123

Post by Vapavite123 »

Bonjour,

Bien que cela ne m'a jamais posé de soucis et vu ce que vous dite et qui peut être problématique, plus particulièrement dans le mode "Vignette+Détails", votre demande me semble justifiée.

Bonne continuation et bien à vous.

Edit :

Le comportement semble différent entre la version 0.39 que j'utilise fréquemment (correspond me semble t-il à votre attende, double clic sur le nom du fichier) et la 0.51 ou un second clic sur la vignette permet effectivement de renommer le fichier !

Hello,

Although it has never posed concerns and see what you said and that can be problematic, especially in the mode "Thumbnail + Details", your request seems justified.

Good luck and good for you.

Edit:

Behavior seems different between version 0.39 that I use frequently (I think is he your wait, double click on the file name) and 0.51 or a second click on the thumbnail can actually rename the file!
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Right,

In MP 0.56 this has been fixed for Thumbnails+Labels , Thumbnails+Filename only :)

But has NOT been fixed for:
Thumbnails+Details
Icon
List
Details

Please Pierre investigate this and fix. Remember that only the filename needs to have the slow-click rename and not the icon/thumb.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

budz45 wrote:Right,

In MP 0.56 this has been fixed for Thumbnails+Labels , Thumbnails+Filename only :)

But has NOT been fixed for:
Thumbnails+Details
Icon
List
Details

Please Pierre investigate this and fix. Remember that only the filename needs to have the slow-click rename and not the icon/thumb.
Thank you. Fixed in XnViewMP 0.60 :)