Translation of XnView MP = XnView Classic?

Translation of On-Screen texts of XnView MP and XnConvert

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

Translation of XnView MP = XnView Classic?

Post by helmut »

It's very good to see that more and more translations are available for XnView MP. I found that the German translation of XnView MP is different to the translation of XnView Classic. From my point of view, translations and terms used in XnView Classic and XnView MP should be as similar as possible. (The same applies for functionality).

What do other people think?
oops66
XnThusiast

Re: Translation of XnView MP = XnView Classic?

Post by oops66 »

helmut wrote:It's very good to see that more and more translations are available for XnView MP. I found that the German translation of XnView MP is different to the translation of XnView (Windows). From my point of view, translations and terms used in XnView Classic and XnView MP should be as similar as possible. (The same applies for functionality).
What do other people think?
Hello, +1, I fully agree (maybe more than "as similar as possible": same functions = same translations and terms (between XnView 1.9X (Windows) and XnViewMP).
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

oops66 wrote:Hello, +1, I fully agree (maybe more than "as similar as possible": same functions = same translations and terms (between XnView 1.9X (Windows) and XnViewMP).
The problem is that the translators are not the same...
Pierre.
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

Ah OK, I see, so in this case: "as similar as possible" should be enough ! :D
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
helmut

Post by helmut »

O.k., I guess my above suggestion for keeping translation and functionality of XnView Classic and XnView MP in sync and similar makes much sense has common consent.

Ideally, the translation of both XnView and XnView MP is done by the same translator, this would make translation easier and ensure that similar terms and wording is used.

Often two translators
In practice, we don't have the ideal situation, often there's two translators for the same language:
Translation is quite some effort, especially the initial translation, this is probably the main reason why there are different translators for XnView and XnView MP. (Actually I'm not sure whether this applies only for some few languages like German language for example, or all languages.)

So let's see what we can do to handle this situation:

Translator lists differences for discussion
I think all translators of XnView MP should try to ensure that translation is as close as possible. If a difference is made on purpose, translators should write this down in a post here in the forum in the appropriate language topic with a short note why this has been changed. This way, all differences are documented and differences can be discussed with the original (=Windows) translator and other native speakers. If the new translation is better, the Classic translator can even pick up the new term/sentence and

Translators could quality check each other
A second method to ensure quality translation is a cross-check of the translators themselves:
The translator for the Window version could look through the translation of the multi platform version and vice versa. As a means of discussions also the appropriate language topic can be used.

Differences reports of End users
Translators will try to create a high quality and accurate and precise translations. XnView end users can also help to improve translation:
If an XnView user has a suggestion for the translation or finds a difference between the translation in XnView Classic and XnView MP, he/she can check in the language topic and see whether the suggestion has been made before and/or the difference was made on purpose or not.

Let's see how we go with the above approach and all help a bit to make good translations even better. :-)

Best regards,

Helmut
helmut

Post by helmut »

When updating the German translation I've realized how important it is, that XnView Classic and XnView MP use the same terms and wordings. This will make users' switching from one version to another (and back) much easier. And translators also have less to think... ...but more work looking up the appropriate translation in XnView Classic.
StephanP

Post by StephanP »

Been there, done that.
The Dutch translations of XnViewMP and XnView Classic are (by and large) consistent.
(Little joy)
Stephan
helmut

Post by helmut »

StephanP wrote:Been there, done that.
The Dutch translations of XnViewMP and XnView are (by and large) consistent.
Thanks for your effort in making the Dutch translations consistent. :-)