** English - English (=Master)

Translation of On-Screen texts of XnView MP and XnConvert

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

cday
XnThusiast

Re: ** English - English

Post by cday »

XnTriq wrote:PS: I finally found out what Open only one view for multiple files (statup & drag-drop) / Single view for multi-opened files does: It tells XnView to open only one view tab when several files are to be opened at once (via drag & drop or SendTo etc.).
Does 'Use only one tab' express that? And if so, is it clearer?

[Not a function I've used...]
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

cday wrote:Does 'Use only one tab' express that? And if so, is it clearer?
How about “Use only one tab to view multiple files”?
  1. Activate Single view for multi-opened files.
  2. Point XnView's browser to a folder that contains a dozen or so images.
  3. Select four thumbnails.
  4. Hit Ctrl+O on your keyboard (= Open command in the context menu):
    • Only one view tab is opened.
      The Previous file/Next file commands make XnView cicle through the four selected pictures.
      The remaining eight images are ignored.
helmut

Post by helmut »

XnTriq wrote:Yes, “Allow only one instance of XnView” seems to be the best option for an application that consists of a browser and a viewer ...
O.k., let's use this (unless someone contradicts).

Thanks for posting the steps to find out about this feature, XnTriq.
XnTriq wrote:... How about “Use only one tab to view multiple files”?
EDIT: I'm still not sure what this setting really does and what it is good for. I'll have to try out your steps and find out.
Last edited by helmut on Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: .
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

XnTriq wrote:... How about “Use only one tab to view multiple files”?
helmut wrote:EDIT: I'm still not sure what this setting really does and what it is good for. I'll have to try out your steps and find out.
I'm not really clear what it does either as I've never used it, or whether all cases are covered.

But a tab can only show one file, so 'Use only one tab' is shorter and possibly clearer...

Or if clearer, 'Use only one tab to view files'...
helmut

Post by helmut »

I've investigated the setting "Single view for multi-opened files" a bit more, please find a summary in topic "0.83: Behaviour of "Single view for multi-opened files".

From what I can see in XnView Classic this setting is supposed to affect the Start-up and Drag&Drop to XnView in View mode, only. The current translation in XnView Classic describes pretty much what this setting does:
"Open only one view for multiple files (startup & drag-drop)".

The addition "(Startup & Drag&Drop)" is very essential, so I'd suggest to rename the setting to "Startup & Drag&Drop: Open only one view for multiple files"

Note:
Instead of "view" we discussed using the term "tab", but "view" is the term used for an image opened in XnView in a tab for viewing. And the setting category is named "View". So I'd stick to the term "View".
helmut

Post by helmut »

Below some more comments/suggestions that refer to XnView MP 0.83:

DlgConvertClass: Actions (is obsolete and can be removed because it's replaced by "Actions [1/1]" for example)

DlgImport:
The Source folder of the files to be transferred.
The internal folder structure will be flattered.
-->
The source folder of the files to be transferred.
The internal folder structure will be flattened (typo)

Info Exif: Subject distance (m) --> Subject distance [m] (units should be in square brackets)

MenuBrowser: Thumbnails + Filename --> Thumbnails + Filenames (just like in XnView Classic)

MenuBrowser: Icon --> Icons (just like in XnView Classic and Windows Explorer)

DlgRenameFile: Extension --> Extension:
helmut

Post by helmut »

DlgSetting:
File list --> Files (in this main category you set how files are handled and which ones are displayed and which ones not)
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Tooltips of Draw tool (introduced in v0.48):
  • Pipette » Eyedropper
  • Add a text » Add text
helmut

Post by helmut »

XnTriq wrote:Tooltips of Draw tool (introduced in v0.48):

Pipette » Eyedropper...
"Color Picker" would be the (more or less) standard term, I think. (Eye droppers drop, only. Pipettes can both drop and suck-up ;-) )
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

helmut wrote:"Color Picker" would be the (more or less) standard term, I think. (Eye dropper drops, only. Pipettes can both drop and suck-up)
I'm not making suggestions without doing my homework first.
Adobe ([url=http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/selecting-colors.html]How to choose colors in Illustrator[/url]) wrote:Color Picker
Provides a color spectrum from which you can visually select colors, color value text boxes for manually defining colors, and color swatches.
Eyedropper tool
Samples colors from your artwork when you click.

Code: Select all

English      | Français              | Deutsch   
-------------+-----------------------+-----------
Eyedropper   | Pipette               | Pipette   
Color picker | Selecteur de couleurs | Farbwähler
“Eyedropper” is the term used in everything from Adobe's Illustrator + Photoshop + Fireworks to Corel's Suite (Draw & Photo-Paint) + Paint Shop Pro + PhotoImpact (and MS Office + OpenOffice + LibreOffice).
helmut

Post by helmut »

XnTriq wrote:... “Eyedropper” is the term used in everything from Adobe's Illustrator + Photoshop + Fireworks to Corel's Suite (Draw & Photo-Paint) + Paint Shop Pro + PhotoImpact.
I just tried in GIMP and there the tooltip says "Color Picker Tool: Set colors from image pixels". And "Pick colors from image" in Inkscape. It looks as if there is no consistent naming.

Perhaps "Pick color" would be both meaningful and fit to the grammatical style of the other tooltips (Add text, Select, ...) of the Draw tool.

Note: In XnView Classic the appropriate tooltip is labeled "Colour information".
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

helmut wrote:Perhaps "Pick color" would be both meaningful and fit to the grammatical style of the other tooltips (Add text, Select, ...).
Clicking on the foreground/background fields in MP's new Draw tool is what takes users to the color picker dialog.
helmut wrote:I just tried in GIMP and there the tooltip says "Color Picker Tool: Set colors from image pixels". And "Pick colors from image" in Inkscape. It looks as if there is no consistent naming.
Linguee
Inkscape
GIMP (tooltips)
  • EN: "Click the eyedropper, then click a color anywhere on your screen to select that color.”
  • DE: “Klicken Sie zuerst die Pipette an und anschließend auf einen beliebigen Punkt, um dessen Farbe auszuwählen.”
Wikipedia
  • GIMP » Features » Color
    “There are several ways of selecting colors, including palettes, color choosers and using an eyedropper tool to select a colour on the canvas.”
  • ColorZilla » Features
    “Eyedropper” vs. “Color picker”
  • Color tool
    color tool, color picker, or color chooser in an application, is a utility, usually found within graphics software or online, used to choose colors or create color schemes.”
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you for the various links, XnTriq. As written before, the naming for this tool is inconsistent throughout graphic tools: GIMP, MS Paint, Paint.NET, Inkscape, and probably more use "Color picker" while other graphic tools use "Eyedropper". And in the manuals/documentation the terms aren't used consistently either. All in all "Eyedropper" is more precise and differentiates from the "Color picker" dialog that allows for picking a color from a predefined sample palette or spectrum.

In the Draw tool of XnView I'd go for "Pick color from image". This is both a clear and easy to understand tooltip and fits to the imperative used for the other tooltips ("Add text", "Select", "Undo", ...). Sure enough "Eyedropper" or "Eyedropper Tool" are also fine.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

helmut wrote:In the Draw tool of XnView I'd go for "Pick color from image". This is both a clear and easy to understand tooltip and fits to the imperative used for the other tooltips ("Add text", "Select", "Undo", ...). Sure enough "Eyedropper" or "Eyedropper Tool" are also fine.
Given the circumstances you mentioned (“Add”, “Select”, etc.), I would also prefer "Pick color from image" as tooltip for the eyedropper button.
helmut

Post by helmut »

v0.84:
... Drag and Drop ove**n** the desired node to assign. ->
... Drag and Drop over the desired node to assign.