Cancel vs. Close/Exit/Quit

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Cancel vs. Close/Exit/Quit

Post by XnTriq »

The button in the main window is labelled “Cancel”, which led me to believe that it allows the user to abort running conversions.
Shouldn't it say “Close“ or “Exit” or “Quit“?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Cancel vs. Close/Exit/Quit

Post by xnview »

I remember such discussion, i think that 'Close' is better here, but 'Cancel' is standard for dialog box.
Pierre.
Peter2
XnThusiast

"cancel" or "Quit" the program?

Post by Peter2 »

The button on right bottom corner is named "Cancel", but it closes the entire application (and cancel running jobs before). Wouldn't be "Quit" a better word?

Peter
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Cancel vs. Close/Exit/Quit

Post by cday »

XnTriq wrote:The button in the main window is labelled “Cancel”, which led me to believe that it allows the user to abort running conversions.
Shouldn't it say “Close“ or “Exit” or “Quit“?
Peter2 wrote:The button on right bottom corner is named "Cancel", but it closes the entire application (and cancel running jobs before). Wouldn't be "Quit" a better word?
Two thoughts:

1. A way to cancel a running conversion, which could take a long time to run to completion, would be a useful addition;

2. XnView 'Classic' and XnViewMP can be closed using the cross in the red rectangle at top right, so why was the existing button 'Cancel' added?

Suggestion: Change the existing 'Cancel' button to 'Abort' (or other, better name)... [Maybe 'Stop' which is very clear English??]

Any adverse possible consequences, I don't see any?