Resize question...

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

crundi

Resize question...

Post by crundi »

A simple question...

I have 200 high-res photos in a folder, 50 are portrait 150 are landscape. I want to batch resize all the images (in proportion) to a height of 750px at 72dpi and 'save for web' into a new folder at the click of a button.

Can this app do that?

Scott
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Resize question...

Post by cday »

crundi wrote:I have 200 high-res photos in a folder, 50 are portrait 150 are landscape. I want to batch resize all the images (in proportion) to a height of 750px at 72dpi and 'save for web' into a new folder at the click of a button.Scott
This seems like a reasonable request but although XnView family software has many Resize options I don't see a way of doing it...

If your images have similar pixel dimensions except for their orientation, it should be possible to use the XnView 'Classic' Tools > Search... function in the file browser to separate them into landscape and portrait folders, which could then be processed with a batch Resize function.

For batch operations you might find XnConvert the most suitable program.
crundi

Post by crundi »

My apologies, my question relates to the app XnConvert. Can it be done with this app?

Thanks again.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

I don't see a way of doing it directly using any of the XnView family applications, the only possibility I can see would be to use XnView 'Classic' to separate the images by orientation into two folders, and then batch process each separately using XnConvert with different Resize settings.

You could probably automate the process using a scripting language such as AutoHotKey, but is it something you need to do often enough to be worth the effort?

Another possibility would be to make a feature request to add the capability to resize to a pixel height to XnConvert, which might be quite easy if there were seen to be a need...

Can anyone else see a way of doing it?

Edit:

It looks as if Irfanview, with its rather clunky batch operations, can do everything required directly, as the Resize option allows the height to be set to a specified pixel value without setting a width value. So maybe XnConvert should include support too?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

cday wrote:Can anyone else see a way of doing it?
XnView Classic is capable of resizing images of mixed orientation to a common height.

Tools » Batch Processing... » Transformations » Image » Resize » Parameters
  • Width: leave blank
    Height: [ 750 ] (pixels)
    [×] Keep ratio
    [   ] Fit over (W or H)
    [×] Follow orientation (switch W/H)
    Only [   ] Decrease [   ] Increase
p117223.png
p117223.png (9.8 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
Test case:
  • Landscape (W×H in pixels): 2032×1524 » 1000×750
  • Portrait (W×H in pixels): 1524×2032 » 562×750
See also: follow orientation issue
crundi

Post by crundi »

Thanks for all your help chaps. I found XNConvert completed the automation simply by setting a value of '0' to the variable axis - in my case the Width. (I wasn't able to leave it blank as XnTriq suggested)

Happy days, all images now reduced in proportion to match the height of say a web slider or even a Slimbox gallery.

Note: This also worked in XNView.

Cheers.