Hide the status Messages

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

GGilbert

Hide the status Messages

Post by GGilbert »

Is there anyway to hide or significantly reduce the verbose level of the status scroll? I working on a large number of items and end up with a memory growth that appears to be the result of the length of the status message.

On a separate note I tried to use the command line tool to lighten the load but had mixed levels of success. is nConvert and XnConvert the same codebase under the covers?

Project description:
I am migrating off of old .MAG files from Fortis Document Management to Tiffs so they are in standard formats.
about 5 million documents at a total of 280gigs. I Think they are all black and white Tiffs but, cant be certain.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks,
George
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Hide the status Messages

Post by xnview »

GGilbert wrote:Is there anyway to hide or significantly reduce the verbose level of the status scroll? I working on a large number of items and end up with a memory growth that appears to be the result of the length of the status message.
Currently no way, but perhaps i can limit the number of lines??
On a separate note I tried to use the command line tool to lighten the load but had mixed levels of success. is nConvert and XnConvert the same codebase under the covers?
Which problem with nconvert?
Pierre.
GGilbert

Post by GGilbert »

It would be awesome if there was a way to set the verbose level. Possibly the following?
0- no status only progress bar and completions status
1- only errors and completion
2 - only file saves no page data
3 - Full (As is)

When trying to do this through the command line I would get strange results. For instance I have 25 sample files. I could successfully do them one at a time by calling out the individual files but, when I tried to batch them I would end up with the contents of all 25 files in a single file with the original filename. I tried a few variations on the syntax but, no luck.

Few questions:
1. Is nConvert the same underlying codebase as XnConnet. If so I am probably just having issues getting the syntax correct.
2. If you we going to migrate this large of a set of files do you have any methodology suggestions.

PS. If I can prove this out we will definitely owe you a license fee.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

GGilbert wrote: When trying to do this through the command line I would get strange results. For instance I have 25 sample files. I could successfully do them one at a time by calling out the individual files but, when I tried to batch them I would end up with the contents of all 25 files in a single file with the original filename. I tried a few variations on the syntax but, no luck.
which command line do you use?
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

GGilbert wrote:When trying to do this through the command line I would get strange results. For instance I have 25 sample files. I could successfully do them one at a time by calling out the individual files but, when I tried to batch them I would end up with the contents of all 25 files in a single file with the original filename.
Do you happen to have a -multi term in your command line, which is specific to the creation of a multi-page file?
GGilbert

Post by GGilbert »

From a sample of 25 files each are multi page tiffs...
I have used this:
S:\MAG_Test\Original\nconvert -out tiff -c 7 -o S:\MAG_Test\ConvCL\%.tif -l S:\MAG_Test\Filelist.txt
Resulting in the creation of many single page Tiffs. It errors out on the 2nd page of each .MAG file and gives me 25 1 page files.

using:
S:\MAG_Test\Original\nconvert -multi -out tiff -c 7 -o S:\MAG_Test\ConvCL\%.tif -l S:\MAG_Test\Filelist.txt
I get one file that contains many all pages from the sample ( I think but, need to verify) .

In both instances I am generating numerous errors
my_error_exit...<Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x57 0x54>
Not sure how that applies since it is a .Mag wrapper on a tiff.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

you want to convert multi page mag to multipage tiff?
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote:you want to convert multi page mag to multipage tiff?
Reading your post I think you want to convert multiple multi-page .mag files to multi-page .tif files, with the files to be processed listed in a text file?

Not having any multi-page .mag to test with, I've done some tests using multi-page TIFF files as input; if NConvert opens multi-page .mag files correctly the results may therefore be of some use to you.

As you have found, when multiple multi-page files are processed in the same command line, the result is a single output file containing all the images in all the input files. The solution, or at least one solution, is to place a loop around the NConvert code so that it is called once for each input multi-page file.

As a longtime Windows user but a recent and quite unexpected NConvert user, I'm no expert on cmd.exe For loops, but with some Googling and the usual amount of trial and error the following code run in a batch file .bat seems to work for me, producing a multi-page TIFF for each input multi-page file:

Code: Select all

for /f %%a in (filelist.txt) do nconvert -multi -out tiff -c 8 -q 80 -o %%_out.tif %%a
As you probably know the % signs are doubled because it's a batch file; whether a batch file is actually necessary I'm not immediately sure, but in any case any detailed implementation will depend on how you wish to work. If you have an alternative solution, I would be interested in seeing it! :D