How to use XnConvert Hot Folder

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

cheekyface

How to use XnConvert Hot Folder

Post by cheekyface »

Hi.
I've read through the thread at: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=28525 and checked for an answer to this elsewhere but can't see anything that answers the question how to use this.
I just don't understand how to use the hot folder? Is there a step-by-step instruction anywhere?

I actually want to try and convert .doc and .docx files to PDF and although XNconvert seems to be focused on image conversion I'm hoping it will do word files too. If not then I'd still like to know if I'm doing something wrong as so far all I've been able to figure out is that I select a folder to be monitored by using the "hot folder" button under the "add files" button on the input tab.
After that I can only guess that somehow it is supposed to monitor changes to this folder?? I set up the output files to convert to PDF and save to the same folder but then I tried to add an image to see if that converted to PDF and nothing happens. Only way to make anything convert is to click on the convert button but I get errors with word doc's - only images work I guess?

For my purposes I'm looking for a way to convert my CV and save it as PDF every time I change it or create a copy with a variation. This happens a lot and so I need some kind of batch conversion that is automated - if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: How to use XnConvert Hot Folder

Post by cday »

cheekyface wrote:I just don't understand how to use the hot folder?
The idea of the hot or 'watched' folder is that the folder is monitored regularly and when a file arrives in the folder it is converted automatically using the values set up on the Actions, Output and Settings tabs. If desired, multiple folders can be nominated as hot folders.
I set up the output files to convert to PDF and save to the same folder...
The output folder must be a different folder otherwise any output file created is seen as a file to be converted, which starts an infinitive loop...
cheekyface wrote:I actually want to try and convert .doc and .docx files to PDF and although XNconvert seems to be focused on image conversion I'm hoping it will do word files too.
Those are not supported file types, as far as I know...
For my purposes I'm looking for a way to convert my CV and save it as PDF every time I change it or create a copy with a variation. This happens a lot and so I need some kind of batch conversion that is automated - if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
When you update your CV you have to save the file, and if you are using a reasonably modern version of MS Word or use the freeware software LibreOffice you can save directly to PDF if you wish, and I think should be able to reopen that file for future editing...

If you do need to batch convert .doc or .docx files to PDF, I can't immediately suggest a program other than the expensive Adobe Acrobat although there are likely other lower cost and possibly freeware solutions.